Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm new to the forum today, as this is the first I knew this site existed, but it's good to see an exclusive Polaris forum.

I'm in need of information for the ignition upgrade for my '02. I bought the whole kit with stator, coil, CDI, etc. to replace the OEM system. There are three jumper wires that are talked about at the end of the instructions and I'm unclear on how they hook up. I understand that all of them may not be used, but can anyone tell me, specifically, which ones are to be omitted on my model?

I contacted Polaris and they wouldn't help me and told me to call the dealer, so they could contact Polaris technical support. I did that and was told they wouldn't call tech. support on my behalf, so it looks like I'm on my own.

The system is installed except these jumpers and it won't start, so I assume I have something not yet hooked up correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was made by Polaris and was, apparently, used on several models to correct the poor stator and coil quality on early units. I guess, if someone has a manual for a newer model with the separate coil/CDI, it could be back-tracked from there.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
have you tired contacting a different dealer about this? the dealers have a nifty little fuction called "ask polaris" where they submit their questions and polaris answers them within 4 hours typically. i have done this a coutless amount of times, its doesnt take much time to type it up. kinda crap the dealer wont help you. i would try another dealer to see if they will. a dealer focused on customer service will help you...

do you have a PN for this kit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edit to title - this is for an '02 model, not an '07

I tried the dealer I purchased the kit from and they wouldn't help. I tried another, but felt bad about it since I didn't buy the kit from them, so I didn't really press the issue. I may try another to see if I get a response. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have you tired contacting a different dealer about this? the dealers have a nifty little fuction called "ask polaris" where they submit their questions and polaris answers them within 4 hours typically. i have done this a coutless amount of times, its doesnt take much time to type it up. kinda crap the dealer wont help you. i would try another dealer to see if they will. a dealer focused on customer service will help you...

do you have a PN for this kit?
Kit # 2202602

What is the dealership you use to get that type of turn-around? I've been waiting two days for the one I called to get back to me. Snow storm supposed to come through this weekend and it would be nice if I'm not spending the whole weekend with a shovel in my hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I did get a hard copy of the installation instructions and it went pretty smooth until the last page. Basically, I have everything like the photo shows, except I have no home for the red wire you see in my photos I've uploaded. I think I only need to supply 12v to it, but would think there should be a lead somewhere to hook to without having to supply my own jumper with ends, right?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
should be. now that you supplied the PN# kit i am able to see those instructions on a PDF file on my computer, so i was trying to figure out where you were at. let me look over them again, and ill get back to you : )

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I'm on the last page that has the jumper photos. I have that file by way of .pdf also, which is a little better since I can zoom in on the pictures a bit, but they're still black and white. I searched this morning, again, for a key-on 12v lead coming from somewhere up high and can't really find anything not already being used.

The three red wires in the bundle, though are key-on 12v, so I may end up tapping into that if I can't find the right wire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow up

I think I figured out what the problem was. I believe my winch is powered from what would normally be the wire I would be looking for. I think the terminal was changed out to a flat spade type and now powers that motor, so I didn't recognize a lead that would fit the jumper supplied in the kit. I left it alone and put a new spade terminal on the end of the supplied jumper and got my 12v key-on power from the three red wire bundle I mentioned earlier in the post. Problem solved, engine fired right up. All wires are tied down and it's back together just in time for this snow storm we are getting tonight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If possible I would like both the pdf file and the kit part number. I have an 02 rancher with a problem in CDI to female plug connection that the dealer has not been able to help me with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many thanks to SnowDrift who was gracious enough to send a photo of his sportsman and the .pdf of the instructions.

Any one can email me for them and I will send them to you as I cant figure out how to post them here..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks SnowDrift
After much searching at several parts places online I found one that had a CDI kit for my commercial duty Ranger 2x4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you Snowdrift!!!! That was the exact same problem I was having. I had no clue on the red wire until I read your post. Same issue, when winch was installed they used the wire so I had no idea where the red wire went. Solved my issue!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts