Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this xplorer 400 4x4 about a week ago and it did not run when I picked it up. I cleaned the carb and all jets/passages, cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel filter and spark plug. it fired up but would hit the rev limiter so I unplugged it, in doing so I noticed all the headlights were unplugged so I checked the bulbs, all were burned out including brake light bulb. im guessing they ran it with a bad battery for awhile. I already replaced it. I cant find any diagrams or anything showing where they hook back into the board (ok one problem down). I hard wired the headlights in the meantime with a fused switch and went for a 4hr ride last night. about halfway through it started smoking somewhat heavily (it smoked a little when I got it fired up but only at idle) and its not a bad smelling smoke that dissipates quickly and a buddy told me that 2 strokes tend to smoke a lot (im new to two strokes and have no Idea if that is true or not). then near the end of the ride the battery died and I had to jump it off, after that the lights would go dim unless I gassed it which im assuming is the stator but am not sure. then today it would not start at all after being hooked to my car battery. it stopped getting spark and I moved the box on top of the oil tank and it started sparking again but still wont start :hmmm: any ideas? im a little overwhelmed with other problems on this bike im dealing with too but those are what im mainly concerned about. I got it started the first time by reading posts on here so figured Id ask now since im kind of stumped. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. sorry for the long post.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
417 Posts
i wonder if your stator went bad...
I agree, sounds like a stator issue for the electrical part. As for the over revving, I'm not sure, perhaps something simple like a stuck throttle cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok discovered voltage regulator bad, gonna replace it but now im getting ALOT of white sweet smelling smoke after it warms up. and mscldawg im sorry I should have been more descriptive it was hitting rev limiter at about 1/4 throttle like it was in reverse so I unplugged the rev limiter all together now idles and revs fine. but the smoke...when it smells sweet and just kind of evaporates quickly means head gasket right? im getting overwhelmed with this thing too many problems at once and I don't have enough experience with two stroke to dive right into a top end rebuild by myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts