Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got what I believe is a 500 Scrambler, but it has a lot of special parts. Bead lock rims, run flat tires, a litter carrier front rack (for a stretcher), infrared spot light, and a set of reservoir front struts with what looks like a Schrader valve to adjust their pressure. Are these front struts normal and does anyone know what pressures they should be at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll try to upload some pics. I'm also new to blogs. By the way I got it from my uncle now that he doesn't need it in Afghanistan.

·
Premium Member
10,349 Posts
Don't know much about scrammys but u have my attention with the struts. Is there a manufactured name on them?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

There is a valve stem on the top of the resevoir, but i wasn't sure what kind of pressures i may be looking at.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
that is one crazy looking machine....take the front litter rack off and your good to go..lol...now did he mod that like that or was it a military mod machine....I see it has the hub hillards so may be 2004 or earlier...get some IR glasses and ride at night..lol...i would go thru all the fluids to start....especialy the front hubs...but thats a nice machine...should be lots of fun....I like the front struts..never seen them before on the front like that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. It was uncle Sam's machine. I'm just not sure if these struts are from a different Polaris model or some special military piece. The front end seems very stiff. If i stand on the front rack it barely squatts. Maybe 1-2".

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm thinking those are some serious duty shocks with the dual springs...seems to me they would have carried something pretty hefty on that front rack to need that stiff of a front suspension. If you dont plan on doing the same I would drop the pressure some to see if she rides smoother in the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I has thinking, but I am concerned they may be high pressure nitrogen. Didn't want my gauge to blow up in my hand.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
find the Vin then contact Polaris. They'll be able to tell you about the shocks. If it's military spec it's probably not modded to much after the factory. If there was a litter on the front that would explain the super stiff front end.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
it may have been built to military specs...some things we cant get....I know awhile back there was a frame problem and the military Polaris had frame braces..some one here tried to get them..they we told its only for military use and sold to military or law enforcement....

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
it may have been built to military specs...some things we cant get....I know awhile back there was a frame problem and the military Polaris had frame braces..some one here tried to get them..they we told its only for military use and sold to military or law enforcement....
I remember that crap, total bs. I believe the ones Cecco makes are a little better quality though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found the struts only had 10psi in them. I dropped it to 5 but no real difference was felt. I guess I'll just have to live with the extra stiff springs. At least it will handle a plow well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would just pick up a set of used struts off of eBay or the like and swap them out if the ride is too stiff. I must say that is one mean looking scrammy though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts