Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wat up yos. im new here i gotta 2001 polaris sportsman 500 HO duck version.
and its been giving us some trouble recently. cant get it to start by its self. it has crankin power. we can bump start on a hill(thats the only success we've had).
WE HAVE...
cleaned out the carb
cleaned all the filters
checked oil
checked spark plug for spark(good)
check all the wires
and it wont start. it cranks over. but not starting

any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump can anyone help? im out in costa rica its kinda in the middle of the jungle and i can get one of my modes of transportation started. rainy season is starting so i could really use some help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the site, have you done a compression check? Will it start every time on the hill?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i havent done a compression check. but it has plenty of compression. and everytime it starts on the hill.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your issue sounds electrical. And since you say you've already checked the wiring, then I'd say it's going to be component failure. Start with the painfully simple stuff. 9 times out of 10, complex issues are fixed by things I've taken for granted. If you haven't already, I'd swap the battery for a new one (or a known working one from another machine). I've had stuff like that happen with my powersport batteries..there's enough juice to keep everything running, but the stator just won't charge the battery back up (typical with old batteries).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts