Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sportsman 800. I don’t trail ride, use for plowing snow and hauling deer out of the woods. I want to put in some food plots but a bit concerned about the “ATV Implements” e.g. Kolpin. So prepping plot implements...chisel plows, discs, anything that actually works vs. for the same money a DR pull behind tiller. In the latter case...little to no stress on the wheeler. Even tools like “groundhog” can stress the frame. Anyone have any experience or opinions here?

Thx!

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Aren't implements something women get?

Reactions: timr

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the black boar implement and it works great. The IRS lockout removes any stress on the suspension.

It works great. Made a big garden for my wife in 20 min.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. Thx for the reply. I understand a lot of these implements work well but...compared to a pull behind tiller, there’s a lot more stress on the wheeler. They can do the work for a time but it’ll definitely shorten their lifespan. They’re not built to do that work; that’s what tractors are for!

·
Registered
33 Posts
My ATV is designed to pull 1500lbs. The implements are low and pull at the proper position for what the frame is designed to pull.

Quite honestly, I was shocked at the little effort my ATV actually had to use. If you get the right implements for your dirt type it doesn't take effort at all. But get just the s tines for hard pack and you'll likely do some wear n tear fast

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi parshath! What kind of Black Boar implement did you use? I just looked at a disc setup that looked good. THAT implement wouldn’t take as much horses as say a drag or chisel plow. The areas I want to drop plots into is fallow too. Not sure if this disc would cut sod well enough. I have access to a farmer who could tear into it for the first year; after that it should be easy. Thoughts please! Thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use the s tine plow and it cuts through the grass like nothing, Harrow works better after that. You'll probably want the weight attachment for a little extra downforce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts