Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had my first big bore delivered on Saturday - a 22 XP1000 Hunter Edition. I wanted to write down my initial thoughts for those who may be a little on the fence of whether a big bore is for them.

We all know that these machines are going to move quickly. Everywhere you look for reviews, or in the forums, people are talking about top speed and getting up to 80 mph or the 90+ hp strictly in terms of speed. For a lot of people, they may think "I'm never going to go more than 40 mph on a 4 wheeler, why do I need that much power?? In fact, I was going back and forth on whether I'd even use that much power too, or whether I was just throwing a ton of money at a number on the side.

I'll acknowledge that the obvious is true, and this thing is FAST. It gets up and moves effortlessly, and I'm not going to be going full throttle in performance mode on tight, windy trails. BUT, where the power is truly noticeable in my opinion, is on those tight/windy/rocky trails. I did 41 pretty rough miles yesterday over tight, steep, rocky trails. Didn't enter performance mode once and spent a lot of time in low.

What I really wanted to call out is that this thing absolutely SHINES in low gear. On steep rocky terrain, I used to have to use a lot of throttle in my 570 just to overcome obstacles, and using that much throttle can be nerve-wracking and you can quickly put yourself in danger by having to use all of the machine's power in a sticky situation. With the 1000 in low, it was predictable, smooth, and effortless. If you find yourself in a situation where "blipping the throttle" can end in disaster, simply flick it into work mode and that worry is entirely out the window. I was truly shocked at just how smooth everything was. I was able to do challenging sections of trail faster - not because I was throttle-mashing, but just because I didn't have to struggle everywhere. I put the EPS mode on High when things were tight and windy and it was an absolute breeze.

I guess my main point of this post is for those who may be wondering what they would do with all that power, especially if they do technical trails and don't do a lot of throttle-mashing or wheelies. And don't get me wrong - the stretches of trail where I could unleash a little were exhilarating. Point A to point B on smooth trails is just that much faster with very little effort. But I think a lot of people (like me) might have the mistaken impression that this much power is too much power in tight situations, and this post is just to call out how very wrong I was about that.

Sorry, turned out longer than I expected :LOL:

·
Registered
33 Posts
i sold my 570 with 200 miles after riding an 850 once.
i decided that if im upgrading, im going all the way. Im glad that ill never have to ask if i should have gone bigger and ive never once regretted having all that power on tap

i definitely burn the most fuel of the group but thats about all i can think of. Another gallon or so over 70 miles isnt going to kill me

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i decided that if im upgrading, im going all the way. Im glad that ill never have to ask if i should have gone bigger and ive never once regretted having all that power on tap

i definitely burn the most fuel of the group but thats about all i can think of. Another gallon or so over 70 miles isnt going to kill me
I'm definitely burning more fuel. Granted I spent a fair amount of time in low yesterday, but 3.5 gallons over 41 miles was pretty rough. Hopefully that turns out to be the exception, not the norm

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got a 1000 in 2018 and a new one in 2022. I will never go back. I did have two 850s before the 1000 but the electronic throttle and low range and clutching is amazing on the 1000.

D
How is the 1000 engine compared to the 850? Run smooth? How hot does it get?

·
Registered
756 Posts

I did the same thing but at the dealership. In 2012 I was set on buying a 550xp. The sales man said " I want you to be happy with your purchase" I asked why would I not be satified with the 550" He pushes an 850 out of the show room and says take a ride.

I left that day with an 850. I thank that salesman frrom that day on. When it came to buying a new bike I got another 850. Then they came out with the 1000xp and it was a no brainer for me. I have had two 1000xp bikes and will never go back.

D

·
Registered
756 Posts
How is the 1000 engine compared to the 850? Run smooth? How hot does it get?
I like the 1000 way better. The heat is the same or even less than the older 850s. They were both the older style. Fuel milage is about the same if not equal. Ride is the same. EPS is the same.
Things I like better. Electronic throttle is really nice and smooth. 3 modes. My 15 850 was always a herky jerky ride. I never had great luck with the clutching on that bike, even with an RVS clutch kit. The clutching and Electronic throttle make the 1000 smoooth. The clutch on both my 1000 has been spot on from the factory.

Things I didn't like about the 1000. Both the 18 and the 22 had fuel pump failure in less than 1000 miles and less than 6 months old. Never had a problem with either 850.

The 850's were great bikes and I rode them each for more the 8000 miles.

That said, I also rode my 18 1000 for just over 8000 miles also. My 2022 has about 2000 miles on it now.

D

·
Registered
211 Posts
I like the 1000 way better. The heat is the same or even less than the older 850s. They were both the older style. Fuel milage is about the same if not equal. Ride is the same. EPS is the same.
Things I like better. Electronic throttle is really nice and smooth. 3 modes. My 15 850 was always a herky jerky ride. I never had great luck with the clutching on that bike, even with an RVS clutch kit. The clutching and Electronic throttle make the 1000 smoooth. The clutch on both my 1000 has been spot on from the factory.

Things I didn't like about the 1000. Both the 18 and the 22 had fuel pump failure in less than 1000 miles and less than 6 months old. Never had a problem with either 850.

The 850's were great bikes and I rode them each for more the 8000 miles.

That said, I also rode my 18 1000 for just over 8000 miles also. My 2022 has about 2000 miles on it now.

D
Good to know. I love the exhaust note of the 1000, sounds throaty. Did warranty cover the fuel pump?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Good to know. I love the exhaust note of the 1000, sounds throaty. Did warranty cover the fuel pump?
Both were under warranty. The first one, the dealer kept telling me there was nothing wrong with the pump. I gave up and installed a Quantum myself. The second one. Same mechanic. Ordered a pump right away. Back order until??? I installed another Quantum. Better pump anyhow. I wanted to ride instead of dicking around at the dealership.

D

·
Premium Member
2018 Sportsman XP 1000 63 1/2 wheelbase
816 Posts
I'm the slowest Sportsman xp 1000 here because after doing Highlifer transmission I top out at 45 mph with my XTR 27x11x14 but but that is Awesome for me because I can just go has fast I could go before thats about 30 mph on the smooth trails and most of the Black Trails is what I love the most I'm only going 10 mph at most and just put it in high and go no more shifting back and forth between low and high.
Work mode is all I use on the Trails because there just too ruff, 2 feet ruts, big Rocks, holes,very steep ,side lean and the Alabama is famous for it's red clay and when it's wet it is slick .
I was thinking of getting a 850 and I'm very glad I didn't and got the 1000 because it can climb up insane hills like nothing.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts

You sound like me. I had to have a Sportsman 850 after I friend of mine showed up with a new 2018 Sportsman SP 850 and I to just got a new 2017 Kodak 700 EPS but after a day of riding behind him I was hooked.
No dealers close had a 850 but it was my lucky day has I stopped by a dealer on my home for a job and I found a 2018 Sportsman xp 1000 and they cut me a deal.
And I still have the Kodak 700 EPS but some how it has less miles on it than the Sportsman and it's a year older.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,874 Posts
Pursuant to federal regulations, ROV's must be 1000cc or less. Any vehicle of more than 1000cc must meet CARB specifications and all that entails. They are classified as a "buggy" or "sand car" or whatever and fall under a different set of regulations for emissions, safety features, etc. That's why the 1000cc limit has led to turbos etc. for increasing HP rather than larger displacement. Unless the regulations change, you won't see anything over 1000cc on an ATV or UTV frame unless you build it yourself. Despite the similarities, a RZR Pro R is NOT a UTV.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Pursuant to federal regulations, ROV's must be 1000cc or less. Any vehicle of more than 1000cc must meet CARB specifications and all that entails. They are classified as a "buggy" or "sand car" or whatever and fall under a different set of regulations for emissions, safety features, etc. That's why the 1000cc limit has led to turbos etc. for increasing HP rather than larger displacement. Unless the regulations change, you won't see anything over 1000cc on an ATV or UTV frame unless you build it yourself. Despite the similarities, a RZR Pro R is NOT a UTV.
Everyone calls it a UTV.
Product Azure Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Super Moderator
15,874 Posts
Yeah, they can call them whatever they want I guess. Its been a while back and I can't remember where I read about it but there are regulations governing OHV's limiting them to 1000cc or less. I'd wondered about why none of the manufacturers were making anything bigger than 1k and someone posted a link to the regs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im currently on a 570 looking to purchase another quad for the fleet. I’d like to pick up an XP1000. I personally have no issue with the level of power this thing packs, but my 11 year old grandson likes to hop between all 3 of my quads. If I get this one how tame is “work mode”? I don’t mind that he rides it as long as he isn’t going to be all over the place in the rough stuff with too much power.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im currently on a 570 looking to purchase another quad for the fleet. I’d like to pick up an XP1000. I personally have no issue with the level of power this thing packs, but my 11 year old grandson likes to hop between all 3 of my quads. If I get this one how tame is “work mode”? I don’t mind that he rides it as long as he isn’t going to be all over the place in the rough stuff with too much power.
That's a great question - work mode is SUPER tame. I let my 10 year old son drive it the other day. I told him if he ever took it out of work mode I'd kill him before the wheeler does.

I heard someone compare work mode to a 570 but it's honestly not even that strong. I haven't driven a 450 but I'd put it closer to those lines.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts