Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. and chose it because of it's power and duribility in extreme terrain. I know I am not a millionaire and probably should not ride it the way I do, however I like to push it and myself to the limit. Long story short, not too long ago I took it riding with some friends and went through a series of 3 ponds/lakes... The first one I powered through just bellow my knee height sitting on the seat, the second was a little deeper to the top of the seat but made it through alright, the last one was the shortest but by far the deepest and my bike lost traction and stopped half way through and was floating like a turtle on the surface just exposing the handle bars and the fuel cap. After the engine cutting out due to drowning and sitting in the water for about 2 minutes I got pulled out by a 4x4 and we had to take out the air filter and dry it and drain as much water as we could from the oil and the carby and filter housing. But since I have noticed when I ride it and put it in high gear and full throttle it revs very high but not top speed then it clunks and jolts me back and takes off. What could this be? Greatest possiblities? And whatever is making it rev high and clunk then go to top speed, would I be looking at alot in repairs? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you... I do not think I will be doing that again any time soon. Please email me on [email protected]

·
11,155 Posts
Did you clean/dry the belt, clutches and housing after the submersion? Probably toasted the belt and gummed up the clutches.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As said above...
Your belt is slipping.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep, belt is wet. You need to take the red screw out on the bottom of the belt cover to let all the water out. Then start your machine and let it idle for a few minutes so everything can dry out. Put the screw back in and you should be good. More than likely now you will need a new belt.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like the guys were saying, more than likely its your belt. I swamped my 500 in the spring while i was out with the wife and my son, she made it through but when I went, she sank, it was very deep. After a "swamping" you should ( and im sure you did) do the water draining process in the bush, clutch covers, drain the carb bowl, pull plug shut off gas and turn motor over to get as much water out as possibe. I did all this but when I went to leave I had the bike in high range, which put alot of stress on the wet belt. By starting in low gear you get a way better hook up to the belt and less chance of warping the belt. I HOPE THIS IS OF SOME USE.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
This is the driven clutch again. The jolt is one of the buttons inside getting jammed up. Belts don't not work, then work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would pull the clutch cover off, clean up both clutches, Check primary clutch rollers and install a new belt, I did the same thing last week. New belt and a good cleaning, all is well now. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thank you all very much for the feedback... Just re-clarifying with y'all, I did this atleast 11 months ago. Immediately after pulling it out of the lake we took the seat off, opened the air filter housing and took it out dried it and opened the carby and turned it over to get as much water out as possible. Later I got home and drained the milky oil and took it in a week later for a service to the Polaris dealership... Don't think they helped much. So I am willing to bet if water has been in there for 11 months something has to be rusted up right? I will get a new belt on pay day but when I take it in to get my rear cv joint boot replaced what should I ask them to look for in regards to the high revs and jolting/clunking... Just so they don't do a half assed service thinking I don't know f-all about bikes and that they can work half as hard for boat loads of money. I wanna be able to tell them what I think it may be (via your opinions) and actually get it fixed this time unlike last time... Thanks again guys. Very much.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'm with Reno on this one. Moisture left in the clutch housing has probably corroded the clutch button so it doesn't want to move until you hit really high RPM and then the clutch swings out, engaging with a clunk. Might need to rebuild the clutch, but at the very least pull the housing, inspect and clean everything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to agree. It is the clutches and belt more than likley. I have replaced lots of belts on mine and gone through one clutch already...
You need to drain and clean everything after you get that submerged. I only ride in Low Gear now unless i'm on the road or flat trails....

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If you hunt around you can find deals.I've got a complete set up in reserve for less than $200. This is all off Ebay. Take your time and ask the venders questions. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts