Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to spend ~$6000. Should I get a new 570 or I seen a one owner 850eps for $5700 with winch and plow but it has 2200 miles. I really don't like buying used vehicles because I've had bad luck in the past but I like the idea of having the 850. Right now I'm leaning toward the 570 just for the piece of mind, but a year from now I don't want to wish I would have gotten the more capable 850.
Mainly gonna be used for work around the house, pulling a small trailer, plowing snow, spraying fertilizer, some trail riding, but in the near future I'm gonna be doing a lot of landscaping and I'll need to pull out some small bushes, haul around stone pavers, etc.
Which route should I go?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The power of the 850 is awesome. What year is the 850?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Are you near the place where you can go take a test ride & check it out? It looks in decent shape but looks can be deceiving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's about an hour away. So I'm assuming you would tell me to get a used 850 over a new 570, given that the 850 is in decent condition.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
The 570 has the power to do the work you mentioned. Just saying the 850 might be the better choice due to the extra power & it already has a plow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would go new. Not even a second thought. I would never buy a machine that has been plowed with and 2200 miles. No matter how well he took care of it, you are going to be wrenching on it at that point.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I would 100% go with the new 570

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
First, Hello & Welcome :wave:

Looking at the 850 ad, I see.....

1) Also see in the pictures: Tractor, Farm Equipment, ect = That 850's been "worked"!!
2) Cracked Rear Rack = That 850's been "worked" and "abused"!!
3) Wide plow.... looks to be wider than the 60" atv sided. Possibly a 72", so I'd guess = it's been "worked"!!

So with those items alone being seen, I wouldn't waste the hours drive to look at it.... you will likely be disapointed, if you prefer to buy new and like nice clean items!!.

I too prefer new..... but bought a used machine (very clean / sound and cared for - and it shows) as a second and have had no problems with it at all. But in the market of used.... "buyer beware"!! So used is okay if the "right machine" comes along. It also allows you to find a larger cc'd machine within your budget, so don't rule it out either!!

But if you choose to go new.... the Sportsman 570 (Star / Polaris Engine) or Sportsman800 (Fuji / Subaru Engine)....are both very capable bikes and both EFI. From experiance I can say the 800 has more "grunt" than needed, but it's nice to have when needed! But with that it's my guess that the 800 will be phased out of the lineup in the next few years (again, just my guess), and replaced with another "Star Engined" machine or phased out all together. Where the 570 is new and with Polaris's track record.... will likely be around a while, as the 500cc 'ranged' newest bench mark in performance and quality!

Personally, I too prefer to buy "toys" new..... but bought a used machine as a second for the wife (it's very clean / sound and was well cared for - and it shows). And with this used machine we have had no problems with it at all!! (knock-on-wood) So used is okay if the "right machine" comes along. As it also allows you to find a larger cc'd or higher optioned machine within your budget, so don't rule it out either!! However, in the market of used power sports equipment.... "buyer beware"!!

Good Luck and if you have any other you'd like us to review (knit-pick) we would be happy to help and give our "opinion"!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would go with new machine

CHAD, I am of the opinion, buy the 570 new machine. Ditto everything listed above that is wrong or damaged, plus The left front cv boot gaurd is missing, broken or removed, says to me, riden over very tough conditions to force to break, or owner doesnt pay attention to how he fixes his machines and removed but never replaced. either way, why take a chance, the 570 has incredible power, and as a new machine you can't kick yourself if you find out later that you should not have gone w/ used. My two cents. Joe

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I also vote new 570. The only thing the 850 is more capable of doing is high speeds. and for your needs you don't need that. Also with the wear and tear on the 850 you're looking at I'd pass.

when pulling out bushes and such, you'll lose traction far before you lose power. Even on the smaller machines like my 300. So if that's the use you need no point in buying the 850. but if you're plan is to go 50+ down roads or on dunes and such than yeah, an 850 would probably be a better option.

For me the choice is simple. Peace of mind and a new 570.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
brother by reading ur initial post u and I know what u need to do. brand new XP 850 EPS all the way. go with ur gut. honestly ur saving all that money by doing all that landscape work urself, so just pull the trigger and tell wifey u need it. u have urself the perfect excuse. if u don't go that route my suggestion would be to definetly get eps on the 570, don't skimp on that. you will need it for all the hauling and maneuvering u will be doing will landscaping.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
brother by reading ur initial post u and I know what u need to do. brand new XP 850 EPS all the way. go with ur gut. honestly ur saving all that money by doing all that landscape work urself, so just pull the trigger and tell wifey u need it. u have urself the perfect excuse. if u don't go that route my suggestion would be to definetly get eps on the 570, don't skimp on that. you will need it for all the hauling and maneuvering u will be doing will landscaping.

This option has not been totally ruled out! Lol

Thanks for the comments, kinda what I expected. I think I'll just go with a new one and save the heartache. Can't wait for that profit sharing check to get here!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd pass on that one. Like MustBeNice said, it looks 'worked'. I haven't driven a 570 but I am a big fan of buying new. To me, it's worth the loss that you take when you put in the back of your truck from the dealers. If you think you'll need the power of the 850 (which IS glorious) then just bite the bullet and get what you want the first time. There's my two cents.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Haha. Didn't see the 2nd page of comments. I guess I agree with bp405:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picking up a new white 570 eps tomorrow afternoon. Everyone is out of plow kits around here though so I had to order one, and the next snowfall is gonna get here before it does. At least I'll have something to play with over the weekend though!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Buy the new. for the kind of use you are talking about the 570 will work fine. A 400 could do what you want to do.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Congrats & enjoy!:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
fine choice. the 570 is a great machine. post up some pics when u get it. next stop mods, lol.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts