Polaris ATV Forum banner

What is the overall best set up for plowing, trails, mud, rocks and longevity?

• Locking Differential

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • AWD System

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Or Something Else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I am in the market for a new atv. Looking for something to plow with at home and trailride and hunt. I am not at huge fan of the Yamahas and Suzuki's. And it looks like the Polaris is just a little better in every way then the Can Am (i like bps i have a skidoo and seadoo) just looking for the best atv for my needs.
I have narrowed it down to the 2010 Polaris sportsman 850 browning addition with plow or the 2010 Arctic Car Mud Pro 1000
Also just out of curiosity is the Arctic Car Diesel any good?

So my needs at the end of the day are winter snowplowing and pretty much the all around summer abuse of offroad rock crawling to mud to comfort of long trail riding and hunting.
I really need this thing to last and not only excel in one area of the sport/utility but overall. It will be abused(or worked hard) so i need it to take it.

The biggest thing i see being differant between the two of them is Polaris AWD and AC locking Diff. Now i am very familiar with jeep offroading (jk 8.5inch lift on 38inch toyo, eaton soft locker front and ARB locker 60 rear) in the off roading world lockers are king so i really need to know the difference. I am seeing more and more of the atvs in ATV then locking diffs? Please help.

As you may have guess i am new to atving, all replies will help. Looking for the ultimateATV

Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
im a little biased but i will give you my opinion.

first ill start with the diesel model. i dont know a lot but typically i wouldnt expect it to have much of a top speed, lots of torque but i wouldnt want to sacrafice the fun factor for the additional torque because current quads put out enough torque to plow slow and pull trailers and still carry the top speed.

Lets first talk about winter plowing. I would choose the XP over the artic cat for several reasons. First off is the narrow seat. its only about 5" wide at the front. it is the narrowist seat on the market right now. This makes it great for standing up. you dont feel like you are trying to straddle a horse while standing. it has a similar profile to a dirtbike. whenever i have plowed, i like to stand up so i can fully see my plow, i know exactly where to stop, exactly what and i plowing, how close to the edge i am. because of the narrow seat, the floorboards are 33% bigger then the standard sportsman. all manufactures have close to the same machine dimensions, so i would bet the XP floorboards are bigger then the AC's without the machine being wider. this will give you more for your feet with snow and ice buildup.

summer time uses. AC is claiming 14" of ground clearance to polaris's 12" both are pretty good numers. you could get some more aggressive oversized tires to get better ground clearance if you need it. i know polaris has a underbody protection, and i assume AC does too. AC is 10" of suspension trave at both the front and rear, the XP is 9" and 10.25", so again, pretty close. machine to machine, they both have good numbers and are close.

as far as hunting goes. polaris has a lot of lock and ride accessories, and a lot for hunter. all the lock and ride accessories go on and off in a matter of seconds and are petty secure. i have no idea what AC offers for accessories, but i know polaris has a lot! the browning edition is also going to get you camo rims, front and rear rack ext., a winch, a lock and ride gun holder and gun case, and heated hand grips installed from the factory.

i am assuming they will have similar engine porformance because although the AC has 951cc to polaris's 850cc's, the AC is also almost 75lbs heavier. the AC is about 10 inches longer then the XP, so its not going to be as nimble in the trees and in turing radius.

as far as working them hard goes.

towing capacity....
AC is 1,050lbs
XP is 1,914lbs.
not even close, the XP tows almost double that of the AC!

Front and Rear Rack Weight Capacity.
AC's industry leading Rear Rack weight is 200lbs (it says industry leading on the AC website...wtf)
Polaris rear reack weight is 240lbs. (funny, the polaris can hold more)
AC's front rack weight is 100lbs
Polaris's front rack is 120lbs.

both offer high and low range gears...so thats a draw.

now, 4x4 sytems. first AC locking diff. as you know how the system works, it is basically the same, except in the first mode the front is not locked. this give you added traction but still helps keep steering force reduced. it works but it is an old system. AC does have engine braking, but its only to the rear wheels and wont help much down steep decents.

polaris's AWD system also give you 3 modes, but completly different. in 2wd mood, the rear axle is locked, and the fronts are unlocked. it does not go into 4x4 mode at all when 2wd is selected. when put in 4x4 mode, the machine remains in 2wd mode until the rear wheels slip. there are sensors on the rear wheels, and if they slip more then 1/5 of one wheel revolution, both front wheels engage in a true locked 4x4 position until traction is regained. it happens so fast you can neither see the wheels slip or feel it. as you are going down the trail in 4x4 mode on a polaris, it trys to keep you in 2wd as much as possible to make steering easy and also help reduce tire wear. but if the terrain is tough, it could be going in and out of 4x4 mode hundreds of times without you noticing or feeling it. the final position on the switch is 4x4 ADC (active decent control) although you also have engine braking to the rear wheels at all time just like the AC, if you select ADC on the polaris, it provides four wheel engine braking if you are going under 11mph. it works so well down a steep decent, with no brake and no throttle, it will not go down the hill faster then about 5mph. basically it is either 2wd or fully locked 4x4, it does all the thinking, and trust me, the system really works! it hasnt changed for a number of years and is a super reliable AWD system.

i hope all that jibber jabber makes sense. sorry its so long but i just had to. there are a couple of recalls on the XP so if you go the route of the XP just get those done before it leave the dealership. if i was in the market, no doubt wouldnt think twice about buying the XP. i had the chance to ride the XP 6 months before the dealerships got them, and was absolutly blow away by how smooth the engine, chassis, and suspenion worked.

any more questions or need clarification just post up and i will answer for you!!!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
i wonder if: the A C 1000 is the v-twin

A C got their axle breakage problem fixed

·
Registered
667 Posts
this is a no brainer,the mud pro is just that a MUD QUAD. it is not for plowing,trail riding or hunting that is the design of it. XP all the way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I vote for the XP....Expecially the power steering model.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
do yourself a favor test drive them both so you will have no doubt that polaris 850 xp with eps is the best all round atv

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blueline15 thanks man, exactly what is was looking for. Thank you for the write up and taking the time to do so. I am 99% sure i am going with the browning edition with plow and steering. Are there anyother accessories that are a must?
Chopper i am going to make an appointment with arctic cat just to cut out any doubts, thanks

Other than the one recall, i will have done rightaway, is there anthing else to worry about or accessories/upgrades to do?

Thanks! All

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
nothing else on the XP to really worry about then the recalls, new machine, new frame, new parts, im not surprised there were some recalls. in all honesty though, go beat the living hell out of it if you get one. trust me, it can take the abuse. a customer of mine put 800 miles on his 09 XP in the first two weeks he bought it.

the XP frames are rigid as hell. if you going to be in places there are some sharp and large rocks, maybe some A-arm guards would be nice. if your gonna be out at night, think about putting some HIDs in all 3 lights. we installed HIDs on a XP for a customer and on high beam at night it looked like a train coming at you. super bright. great spread from the lows and distance from the high really lit up everything in front of you. if you go with the browning your are going to get the winch for both snowplowing and hunting, the gun mount and case, and also the thumb warmer and heated hand grips for snow plowing so you are good there. if you need more storage you could always get the front or rear storage box that is a lock and ride accessory, or OGIO makes some sweet ATV bags for very reasonably priced, and OGIO gives you a lifetime warranty on their workmanship last time i checked.

the only other thing i can say is get what you think you need, and then ride it to see if you need anything else.

your welcome for the info, tired to be as fair as i could. i dont need to lie to make the XP sound better, it is better. pulled all that info from both AC's own website and polaris's website, not a 3rd parties site. yes i am a salesperson for polaris atv's in the summer, but i can also say that i love the product i sale and truely feel its the best.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
blueline how much were the hid lights that you mentioned, and were did you get them.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i dont remember exactly the company, i will have to look when i go back down to the shop in a few days. my boss became a dealer for these guys. it was less then $200 for 3 H4 HID's and 3 slim ballasts and all the hookups. i know we order their kits online and get dealer cost on them, again, ill have to look next time im down at the shop what company it was, but there are a lot of HID kits out, so prices are pretty competitive

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
thanks for the info blueline, i will check the net and see what i find

·
Registered
667 Posts
the first thing to put on a XP is tires the stock carlilse are garbage.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
looks awful clean for cajun county paw paw :wink1:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Only because that was the first day I had them!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good to know, ill keep a buget open for tires. what are good bands for ATV? i guess the cheap ones at princess auto would be no good lol haha

i wish toyo made some ATVs run them on all else lol

thanks alot guys

·
Registered
667 Posts
are you a mud rider or trail rider? where you ride will tell you what kind of tire you need. zillas are good for mud and are not heavy,bighorns are good for trails,there are others but the 14" limits you a little, most are 12".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts