Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 sportsman 400 HO that just hit 25hrs so it was time for a fluid change. I drained the oil from the tank, the sump,removed the screen and replaced the oil filter. I put in the recommended 2qts of polaris oil and a new polaris filter. I primed the oil pump and checked the oil. The oil level was low. It was below the lower (add 8oz) mark. I went to the dealer and bought another qt of oil and the guy behind the counter said that it was only a 2qt system and if I added any more it would ruin my air filter. I went home and added 7oz of oil and it is still below the low mark on the dipstick. It is not leaking anywhere but my outside temps are around "0" degrees F. If I warm up the atv the oil level goes way up past the full mark. Is this oil that sensitive to the ambient temperature? Should I be waiting until it gets warmer outside to check my oil? I don't want to overfill.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I check mine before I start it while its cold, I keep it full .Temp doesn't make any diff as long as your consistent on how you check it, should only hold 2 qts though.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Super Moderator
7,177 Posts
Two quarts is all you should put in it, and yes, it will read differently between hot and cold. I would drain it back out and just put two quarts back in.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Really..... 7oz in a "holding tank" type system is going to change the world?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You may have used more because you removed the screen and got some of the oil that others never get out.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
How to check oil level correctly.

There is only one way to get a correct reading, especially if you decide to read the owner's manual. Step 1 - start engine, let idle 20-30 seconds & shut off. Step 2 - Now check your oil level. Doing it Any Other way will lead to an incorrect oil level reading. Overfilling the oil level can cause foaming in crankcase which leads to very poor lubrication, ouch. Not to mention what the other guys said about the air cleaner. Check it this way, if its overfilled, drain some! There is a dipstick with levels on it for a reason. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
There is only one way to get a correct reading, especially if you decide to read the owner's manual. Step 1 - start engine, let idle 20-30 seconds & shut off. Step 2 - Now check your oil level. Doing it Any Other way will lead to an incorrect oil level reading. Overfilling the oil level can cause foaming in crankcase which leads to very poor lubrication, ouch. Not to mention what the other guys said about the air cleaner. Check it this way, if its overfilled, drain some! There is a dipstick with levels on it for a reason. :veryhappy:
I did read the owners manual.
That is the way I check it.

I checked it this morning by starting the engine and leaving it run for 30 seconds then shutting it off. Pulled the dipstick, wiped it off, then reinstalled it completely. Pulled the dipstick again and the level is well below the low mark. I am thinking that in this cold weather (-8 F this morning) that the oil is thicker and not returning to the sump fast enough. Giving me false readings. I have 71oz of oil in my atv and it still reads low. something is wrong. Why don't they just give you a mark on the dipstick that you read without ever starting the engine.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
That's the truth - a better dipstick to read!

Yes - that really is the answer - i think. Yeah the minus zero temps Have to effect the flow of oil & like you say maybe affecting your reads. I have no way to compare here in central texas. only got to 20 once or twice for a day or so here. I have put my rotella t-6 (5-40) in my freezer set to zero for a couple days to see what it does. It flows fairly easily but i can definetly see it flow has been slowed down at least 50% (acted like thick syrup at normal room temp). Once the temp returned to about 40, what a difference. So yeah go ez when the temps are that low. :cowboy:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I did read the owners manual.
That is the way I check it.

I checked it this morning by starting the engine and leaving it run for 30 seconds then shutting it off. Pulled the dipstick, wiped it off, then reinstalled it completely. Pulled the dipstick again and the level is well below the low mark. I am thinking that in this cold weather (-8 F this morning) that the oil is thicker and not returning to the sump fast enough. Giving me false readings. I have 37oz of oil in my atv and it still reads low. something is wrong. Why don't they just give you a mark on the dipstick that you read without ever starting the engine.
You say you have 37oz of oil in the atv. It takes two quarts, 64oz. I can see why it is low

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, I have 71oz of oil in the atv. Bad math!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Did you use the same length of oil filter. I think the OEM is 2.5in, but the longer ones fit too which would take up more oil

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used a Polaris filter from the dealer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Seems strange. If it were me, I would put additional oil in to see how much more it takes until full. I bet its only one or two more ounces. I would then drain all of the oil, and start over, without draining the crank. Its worth the cost of the extra two quarts. I get the 0w40 Mobil 1 at WalMart

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
The 400 has a dry sump system, meaning there is very little oil in the bottom of the engine at any time, the tank holds the rest of the 2 qts, its just a holding tank for the engine to circulate oil as needed from, 7 Oz low or high wont make a difference, what does the level show when cold, after it has sat for a couple hrs? I don't understand why you would check it any other way?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Russ, I am checking the oil the way the owners manual states. Seems goofy to me too, but this is the first dry sump engine that I have ever owned. The owners manual tells you to start it up and let it run for 20 to 30 seconds. Shut it down. Pull dipstick and wipe clean. install dipstick completely. Remove dipstick and check oil level. I think it has been so cold that the cold oil is taking longer to return to the sump thus giving me low readings. I checked it last night and I let the atv run for 2 minutes before checking oil and the level was fine. But it was also 20 degrees out and not -10. Just seems like too much of an iffy way to check the oil.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would think your are more than fine. Put the dipstick back in, put on your boots and coat and go ride the machine. A few ounces here or there in that machine is not making any difference at all.

·
Super Moderator
7,177 Posts
One more time. It is a 2 quart system. Drain the oil, put two quarts back in and quit pulling the dipstick out. If you put two quarts in, it is good, no need to check anything right after you do the oil change. When it is that cold, you have to get the engine warmed up in order for the oil to flow normally, and get accurate readings on the dip stick.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Cold may affect oil flow

Russ, I am checking the oil the way the owners manual states. Seems goofy to me too, but this is the first dry sump engine that I have ever owned. The owners manual tells you to start it up and let it run for 20 to 30 seconds. Shut it down. Pull dipstick and wipe clean. install dipstick completely. Remove dipstick and check oil level. I think it has been so cold that the cold oil is taking longer to return to the sump thus giving me low readings. I checked it last night and I let the atv run for 2 minutes before checking oil and the level was fine. But it was also 20 degrees out and not -10. Just seems like too much of an iffy way to check the oil.
Cold may affect the flow of oil for a bit but when you measure the oil you are measuring what is in the oil tank not the sump. The purpose of running the engine 20-30 secs is to pump "excess" oil from the sump to the oil tank, thereby allowing you to get an "accurate" reading according to polaris. So i guess that means when the engine sits some oil from the tank and/or oil filter drains into sump. Yeah it should be simpler but as long as you don't have oil leaks once filled with the right amount you should be good - ride on!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One more time. It is a 2 quart system. Drain the oil, put two quarts back in and quit pulling the dipstick out. If you put two quarts in, it is good, no need to check anything right after you do the oil change. When it is that cold, you have to get the engine warmed up in order for the oil to flow normally, and get accurate readings on the dip stick.
Just following the manual on changing the oil. It is more than a 2qt system. Approx. 1 cup. of oil will remain in the crankcase. 1 cup is 8oz. But notice number 23. "Check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick."

I am just trying to do what the manual suggests.

16. Approximately one cup of engine
oil will remain in the crankcase.
To drain, remove the drain plug on the lower right side of the crank-
case. The sealing surfaces on the dr
ain plug and crankcase should
be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
17. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
18. Remove the dipstick.
19. Add two quarts (1.9 l) of recommended oil. Reinstall the dipstick.
Tip:
If the sump is not drained, add about 1 3/4 quarts (1.6 l) initially.
20. Place the transmission in PARK.
21. Lock the parking brake.
Prime the oil pump using the procedure on page 72.
Then stop
the engine and inspect for leaks.
23. Check the oil level. Add oil as need
ed to bring the level to the upper
mark on the dipstick.
24. Dispose of used f
ilter and oil properly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts