Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend looking at a 2005 Sportsman 800 and I am trying to help them decide if they want it or not as they are unfamiliar with this particular ATV. That said I was hoping some of you could tell me the Pros & Cons of this Particular ATV.

·
Premium Member
9,744 Posts
800 is a solid machine. Great power and torque. Very reliable on a solid simple platform. The only complaint would be the radiator sits low so it gets muddy and caked.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I love my 2013 800. As BP405 said, reliable and simple.

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
The 800 is a great machine. Without know anything about this 800 he is looking at, or the price, a new 570 can be had for under $5000 if he shops around, at least that's what several on this forum have reported. The 570 is equal in performance to the 800, and a much more modern engine. A good option if the price on the 800 is high.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 800 is a great machine. Without know anything about this 800 he is looking at, or the price, a new 570 can be had for under $5000 if he shops around, at least that's what several on this forum have reported. The 570 is equal in performance to the 800, and a much more modern engine. A good option if the price on the 800 is high.
I agree with Bob that the 570 is a good machine also, and can be found for a steal at quite a few dealerships.

However, I have to strongly disagree with him saying the performance is equal. I own both and ride both regularly. The 570 is not equal to the 800. The 570 is pretty strong off the line to around 30 mph but then it just doesnt have as much pull.

I have raced the two on multiple occasions and the 800 pulls away at the start and never looks back.

I do like the 570 though. I liked my wifes so much that I went and got myself one to. That was mainly for the EPS though. But it is now my trail riding rig. I have no complaints with it.

I just figured I would chime in here because I have seen a couple people claim that the 570 is equally powered to a 800 and that is just not the case.

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
Not to sidetrack this thread, but it is relevant. I would put the 570 up against my old '07 800 any day out on the trails. Shoot, the 570 is only 2 tenths slower 0-30 than the 850. If riding over 30 all the time is your thing, an 850 or 1000 is what you want. Either one will walk away from the 570 or 800 above 30 mph. If trail riding is your thing, the 570 is equal to the 800. My wife had her 570 while I still had my 850, and we would switch machines when out on the trails. Other than in deep snow, the 570 is pretty much an equal trail machine to the 850. I've never been on a 1000, so I can't speak to how it is as a trail machine.
If top speed and racing is the goal, an 800 lb. atv is the wrong tool. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree 100% with you Bob. Like I said in my earlier post, my 570 is my trail machine now because it is suited perfectly for that purpose. I rarely find myself wishing I had more power than it will provide when out on the trails and it gets a lot better gas mileage. I just believe that saying the 570 is an equal performing machine to the 800 without explaining further what you mean could send someone in the wrong direction. The OP did not say what kind of riding they would be doing so I did not want them to get the wrong impression and be disappointed down the road if power was what they really were wanting. Granted as you said, if they really are after power, the 850 or the 1000 is the way to go if they can afford it.

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
I agree 100% with you Bob. Like I said in my earlier post, my 570 is my trail machine now because it is suited perfectly for that purpose. I rarely find myself wishing I had more power than it will provide when out on the trails and it gets a lot better gas mileage. I just believe that saying the 570 is an equal performing machine to the 800 without explaining further what you mean could send someone in the wrong direction. The OP did not say what kind of riding they would be doing so I did not want them to get the wrong impression and be disappointed down the road if power was what they really were wanting. Granted as you said, if they really are after power, the 850 or the 1000 is the way to go if they can afford it.
:beerchug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts