Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
The boys and I are planning a trip down to West Virginia and it sounds like we'll be riding the Rockhouse trail on the Hatfield and Macoy trail system.
I just have a few questions.....
We're going to be staying at Canebrake FireHouse Cabin. Has anyone stayed there?
I'm guessing we're going to need trail passes, are there any weekend passes and if so how much?
What is the Rockhouse trail like?
How's the weather and trail conditions on or around May1?
Let's hear if you've had good and or bad experiences in that area!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Rock house is rocky on most of the harder trails. Dress in layers for that time of the year there. It's chilly in the morning but comfortable by lunch. Also expect mud...which is better than dust. No weekend passes, only yearly passes. $50/pp non-resident.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think its an awesome me place to ride. I have been there 4 times and will again. The only bad part for me is the 18-19 hrvdrive to get there but its worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just thinking, am I going to have to change the jetting? My bike is jetted for sea level right now.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
No re jetting you'll be under 2000'. What town are u staying in? Rockhouse is what it says it is rocky. I like technical rocky so the blue and black trails work for me. Should be slick which as stated before is better then dust. If ur coming from Canada weather should be perfect for u.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No re jetting you'll be under 2000'. What town are u staying in? Rockhouse is what it says it is rocky. I like technical rocky so the blue and black trails work for me. Should be slick which as stated before is better then dust. If ur coming from Canada weather should be perfect for u.
Thanks for the info bo405!
We're going to be headed down to WV on May 1st (9 hour drive) and were going to be staying in Gilbert at the Firehouse Cabin! We plan to ride between Gilbert and Mann for most of the trip! I'm hoping for wet weather personally I hate the Dust! Any good Restaurants in either towns that are a must to stop at?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do I need to bring anything else to ride in WV since I'm from Canada? I have an ownership insurance and a Rockhouse trail pass!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Thanks for the info bo405!
We're going to be headed down to WV on May 1st (9 hour drive) and were going to be staying in Gilbert at the Firehouse Cabin! We plan to ride between Gilbert and Mann for most of the trip! I'm hoping for wet weather personally I hate the Dust! Any good Restaurants in either towns that are a must to stop at?
My group will be at Matewan on the same date. I doubt it will be too dusty on May 1, and there should be some mud if your looking for it. Maybe not at Rockhouse. I've never ridden Rockhouse. We are riding Buffalo Mtn and there should be some mud there. I'd say if May is the usual, a jacket in the morning, definitely a rainsuit, a helmet...must wear a helmet on any HM trails, a full tank of fuel and some goodies to eat and you should be good to go. No firearms or beer is allowed on the trails. We might come over to Rockhouse if the rumored connector is open. Have a good time and be safe. Some of the descents out of the mountains can get slick very quickly if it rains. Make sure your brakes are good before going there

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
I stayed in gilbert there is a hardees and mcdonalds and some local bars. there are places to eat in mann also.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't forget wallies in gilbert rite at the trail head good breakfast!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Rockhouse is awesome!
The trails are technical to keep you involved. They keep you interested. Typically every place one can stay offers trail passes for sale.

We started in coats in the morning and shed them by afternoon. (mid-May)

Also for future reference, check out twinhollowcampground next time. It is beyond breathtaking and truly gives you the WV mountain experience!

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've been to every trail in Hatfield McCoy and Rockhouse is my favorite, and same with most people. I really never thought of it as that rocky at all, but yes in some spots. There will definitely be some mud but mostly you can go around it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts