Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I just inherited an 02 Sportsman 700 Twin. Pretty regular maintenance, only 155 hours! It starts fine, idles, and runs fairly well. Under load, it bogs and backfires, more so in high gear. Everything else seems to be in working order. It was stored outdoors, and not ran regularly. I am assuming that I have a clogged carb needing cleaning. Or would I be better off to replace the carb? I am not sure how much those run, but can do it myself (used to work at a dealership as a lot tech in high school so I know just enough to be dangerous). What else should I replace or fix while I'm at it? I am assuming U-joints need grease and/or replacement, I already did battery, gear oil, belt... Am I missing anything?

Thanks all

·
Registered
28 Posts
It probably has the worthless Ducati ignition system. Do a Google search on your model. It'll tell you all you need to know about doing the conversion to the Kokoman (sp) style ignition.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How old is the gas, if it was stored outside you could have condensation that created water in the tank

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found out what was going on, or at least replaced enough parts to fix whatever was wrong. I put in a dynojet kit, new fuel filter, spark plugs, now it's running great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey y’all. Thanks for the replies and ideas.

I did drain the tank and cleaned it out real well when I cleaned the carb, and put some fresh ethanol-free in it. It seemed to do even better after that. I’ll get some pics up today for your enjoyment as well 😉

1 - 6 of 6 Posts