1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:star:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
very hard pulls outward............if you want to just leave the joint in the case , you can remove the boot and on the axle ,just a lil inside the joint is a snap ring, give it a squeeze and the axle will slide right out, install boot onto axle , slide clamps in place, snap axle back in place ......................

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is not much info out there about how to get the REAR cv axle apart for changing boots. Not even my Clymer for the Sportsman 500 has any illustration in there and they suggests that one leaves this up to the dealership.
So thank you for the snap-ring info. I just thought it would work like the front CVs, but no. It took me a while to get the snap-ring expanded and enough backwards, that it would let the shaft go.
I have a 1998 Sportsman 500 which I changed over from the U-joint axles to the CV type. I had several catastrophic failures of the outer U-joint axles, because the forks broke and while still turning they hooked on the bearing carrier and destroyed the backside of it.
To get the CV axles adapted on the 1998 Sportsman, one bolt-head on the upper A-frame needs to be cut back at an angle, or the edge of the inner boot and strap will not fit. Also the edge of the metal below the bolt head will need to be hammered back a bit and edges rounded for more clearance.
Unfortunately the one axle I bought from the cvman on eBay had a bad inner boot that smelled like the cheap Chinese rubber and true enough deteriorated within a few weeks. It's one thing when a boot gets damaged by a stick, but having to take apart an axle for shoddy boot material is annoying.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Photo of rear outer CV, snap-ring visible and axle shaft. If someone knows what the correct tool is to expand this ring please share. I used needle nose pliers, which did not work very well. The snap-ring tends to hook at the back even when expanded.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts