Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have clear pictures of the inside of an ECM? Mine melted one diode off it is a BEX(bidirectional) but I just want to see the way it installed. The condition it caused was overcharging. I saw one here (by old polaris tech) but it was melted at the one I need to see. TIA

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You may want to find out why that TVS diode failed.
It may be age or it may be something outside of the controller or even inside stressing the diode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike was rolled and water in speedo etc. I have tested charging system and 18+ volts. I found TVs' and installed them no joy. Something else probably out . I ordered a new one but sure would be nice if it could have been fixed.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Not impossible to fix stuff like this.
A good visual may reveal what's going on. Corrosion and thermal damage will often show up under the microscope.
Always check your voltages. datasheets are available for a lot of components. Go from there.
If it's a custom component or programmable part you may be SOL. Otherwise you can likely fix the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Input! I searched for info on the power sure module, no joy 😢 I have luck with other electronics. Like I said I have a new unit coming and will post the outcome. OBTW may be picking up another SPORTSMAN tommorow. 🤣

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New ecm took care of over charge. If someone finds the data sheet on the surepower could you post them. I have an oldy I like to attempt to fix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way BEX TVS diodes are bidirectional later model GEX diodes are unidirectional. 😉

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
New ecm took care of over charge. If someone finds the data sheet on the surepower could you post them. I have an oldy I like to attempt to fix.
BEX and GEX diodes are just different kinds of TVS diodes.

That is what Polaris calls an ECM? Not really that much to it.
You need to look for datasheets for the board level components.
Looks like most of them are surface mount diodes, resistors, capacitors, and transistors. Datasheets on the transistors would be mildly useful. The other discrete components are pretty basic. They either meet spec or they don't.
I only see one chip on the board and it's not that special... Texas Instruments HC4052M four channel multiplexer/demultiplexer https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/CD74HC4053

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You can find handy little applets online to decode the SMT Resistor and Capacitor values.
^^This one is fairly easy to deal with.

Most of the transistor datasheets can be found on electronics supplier sites like Mouser, Digikey, Newark, ...

That big ass blue disc is likely a capacitor.

The miserable one is what looks like an electrolytic capacitor that they glued to the PC board. It could be close to impossible to clean off whatever goo they squirted around the can so you can get a readable value from the plastic wrap on the cannister. If it's just non-conductive RTV silicone type goo then it can probably carefully cut it away with a hobby knife. If it's some kind of non-conductive epoxy you could end up damaging the board to remove it.
I'm just generally not impressed with that lazy kludge. It means they didn't intend for anyone to be able to repair it.

Another thing to keep in mind are the power transistors clipped around the sides of the aluminum enclosure. Can you remove the clips without damaging them or come up with some other way to attach the transistors to the enclosure?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much on your input! I was able to remove the cooling clips and board. Like you said it looks tough in a few spots. My friend said he took his speedo (burnt up) to a local speedo shop for repair so I may try them. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Honestly my guess is you fried some or most of the Field Effect Transistors that are heatsinked to the enclosure. They wear out eventually. You probably reached the end of their lifecycle so any that still have the magic smoke inside won't... sooner rather than later.
Only way to test em is out of the circuit. If you don't have the equpment to desolder them and some experience with this kind of work you can badly damage the PC board... I'd leave it for an electronics technician with the gear and experience.
You're also going to need heatsink tape to replace the stuff that was between the FETs and the enclosure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts