Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I posted this in another forum, but did not want to hijack it so I started a new thread.

I just installed my new Polaris heated grips that I got for X-mas. I hooked everything up to what the instructions told me. When I hooked into the power supply I connected the red power wire from the grips to the back of the cigarette lighter where the orange and white wire hook up to the lighter. Is this right? When I went to start my quad and make sure the grips were working it started really hard and wont stay running unless I give it gas to keep it running. My quad is almost brand new it is a 2012 850 with 150 miles on it and has always run smooth. Did I screw up something electrically? I also unhooked the power from behind the lighter and it still runs hard. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There are 2 orange wires in the headlight pod you can connect to. Try one of them. Should be simple plug and play. And ground the grips to the battery hold down stud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK,
It's running fine now it was just a fouled plug. Ran it for a bit and the plug fired up again. The grips seem to be working too. I left the power pluged into the back of the cigarette lighter. I can't seem to find the 2 orange wires to just plug into. Does anyone have a picture by chance of where these are? Thanks ridinagain for the response.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine weren't in the pod, they were down by the battery. Ran the grip wires through the pod and then plugged into the two wires.

I have the 2011, look for orange and white wires with nothing attached. Sorry no pics, hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It will work fine where you have it plugged in at. Get some good plugs in that thing and they won't foul anymore. I finally broke down and did it this week. Went to load up the other day and didn't let it warm up enough before trying to back out of the garage, fouled one at 5 am, nothing open till 9am to get more and I didn't have any extras.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would upgrade your battery, the stock battery is junk. The heated grips use a lot of power and the stock battery will fail. I up graded odyssey best for the money. I used the Polaris brand heated grips and they work great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would upgrade your battery, the stock battery is junk. The heated grips use a lot of power and the stock battery will fail. I up graded odyssey best for the money. I used the Polaris brand heated grips and they work great.
Which Odyssey model did you use? TIA

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is orange wire with white stripe coming out of harness near the battery it is there to be used for keyed aux power like grip heaters.i wired grip and thumb together to one switch works great

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Which Odyssey model did you use? TIA
It is the 925L. Great battery almost twice the size and power of the stock one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I will second the battery. My machine wouldnt start below zero last year....this year with the new battery im always ready to go.... I ran new years eve in -30....yes the hand warmers were used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts