Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a QSC clutch kit that I got from Ryan (Ridinagain) in my 850 last night and had the opportunity to try it out today out on the trails. I told him I would post my honest opinion about it, so here it is.
My initial thoughts about it really not being necessary were confirmed.
However, that being said, even if not necessary, it did improve the performance. Riding in high like I do the majority of the time, it did seem improve the throttle response somewhat. It also seemed to pull a bit better in a couple of deep drifts.
In low it was a monster. Almost instant max RPM and wheel speed when I pinned the throttle, yet still very manageable when easing into it. It will be interesting to see and compare when I'm not riding snowy trails. Kind of hard to judge when the tires were breaking free so easily. I had the weights ground for 8,000'+ elevation and I would expect to lose some top end speed, which really doesn't matter at all to me. I don't ride many trails where that is possible, even if I had the desire to do so.

Overall, not a bad option if you want to gain some performance, and Ryan was great to work with. I had a couple of questions before and during the install and he answered the phone and my questions each time I called, including one call that had to be around 9:30 PM his time. Can't beat that for service. If this is something you are thinking about doing, he would be the first person I would contact.
Here are a couple of pictures showing the trails I was riding today while testing it out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sweet!!! Thanks for the pics & thanks for the QSC clutch review!!!!!!
P.S I am also seriously considering that clutch kit as well.........Still waiting for the OK from the other half, trying to convince her to buy some shoes in trade for the clutch kit ol!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Awesome pictures!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Bob,
Glad you got some time to try it out. And appreciative of the honest feedback. Will be interesting to see what you think once you get to ride it on some more solid ground and can really run it. I think I might need to tow the 850 out next time I'm headed to CO. Looks like some amazing riding. Please check back with us once the snow is gone or you can try it out on some dry solid ground and compare it with one of your riding buddies with the same machine still stock.

Thanks!
Ryan

Rio, I got some old worn out shoes I can throw in the box with your kit. LOL

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob,
Glad you got some time to try it out. And appreciative of the honest feedback. Will be interesting to see what you think once you get to ride it on some more solid ground and can really run it. I think I might need to tow the 850 out next time I'm headed to CO. Looks like some amazing riding.
If you head out this way to ride sometime, give me a shout. At the very least, I will point you in the right direction for some great riding. If the timing works, I would be more than happy to meet you on the trail to do some riding.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So knowing what you know now after running it a little, would you still have bought it? Does it give that much more "fun" factor?

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So knowing what you know now after running it a little, would you still have bought it? Does it give that much more "fun" factor?
That's a good question, and I really don't know the answer. I was completely satisfied with the performance before, but it is better now. I guess it's up to you, if you are happy with your atv the way it is, or do you want to spend the money to get a little more out of it? My situation is a little unique to the majority of the folks on here since I ride 99% of the time at elevations starting at 8,500' up to over 13,000'. That robs probably 25% or more of the power that an engine puts out. With that, I can't say how an atv runs at low elevations, or how a kit would affect it there. I've never ridden at an elevation lower than 4,000'. (at Moab) I do know I would like to try it sometime, because it would feel like a whole new machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts