Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the nice weather right around the corner, I figured I'd install some heated grips :eek: :pat: :lmao:

Actually got these Heat Demons in the bargain cave while shopping at Cabela's for some mags for my Remi 597.

I can't figure out why I didn't install these sooner. It's very simple if you do a couple tricks. The first one is using compressed air to get the old grips off. Sure I could have just cut them off, but now I have a decent set of grips leftover for potentially another use.

The second is using a nice coat of WD-40 on the bar and inside the grips to get the new ones on. Other than that, it was a breeze!!

Took it for a little 3 mile trial spin, but it's 50 here today and the trails are a muddy mess and I didn't want to tear them up too much. They are really warm, to the point where you can't hold the grip with bare hands with them on high.

I tapped the accessory power and ground:

Finished product:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I didn't get that kind, but got the Polaris version..
They get hot as hell, another great add for sure

·
Registered
729 Posts
They do heat up very well , I had a problem with the wires breaking off just where they enter the grips on the symtecs. I switched to the Tusk brand and have no complaints.
They have about 3/4" of rubber molded right into the grips where the wires enter and supports the wires. Good quality and half the price from RMATV/MC. ($55 delivered)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They do heat up very well , I had a problem with the wires breaking off just where they enter the grips on the symtecs. I switched to the Tusk brand and have no complaints.
They have about 3/4" of rubber molded right into the grips where the wires enter and supports the wires. Good quality and half the price from RMATV/MC. ($55 delivered)
Wow, I just took a look at them and you're right, the molded rubber at the grip end looks to be much more sturdy. And much cheaper!

I am concerned about the lasting/quality of these symtecs, which is why I only used the tap connectors instead of tap soldering. I tried to make sure that there was zero tension on any of the wires, especially where they exit the grip and the thumb warmer. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The compressed air in the end of the grip trick works great for getting them off and on!
Worked like a charm for getting the old ones off, but the inside of these is hard plastic so the air wouldn't work on them :motz:

Fortunately, the directions make it sound like its impossible to get them on and has several warnings about how tough it will be. They even have a warning about BRP bars which are apparently a little larger in diameter. I went very generously on the WD-40 and they slid right on.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have symtecs on both of my machines with no complaints. The right grip on my XP is starting to wear out, those are 3 years old now

·
Registered
772 Posts
they heat up great. But I dont think they wear very good. Mine are less than a year old and are pretty worn.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they heat up great. But I dont think they wear very good. Mine are less than a year old and are pretty worn.
Wow! That's not very reassuring. I hope it's just that "death grip" you put on the bars lol!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have symtecs on both of my machines with no complaints. The right grip on my XP is starting to wear out, those are 3 years old now
That's about what I was expecting out of them, 3 years or so. That's about what I get out of any grips.

Are they still as hot as when you put them on and it's just the rubber that's wearing out??

·
Registered
772 Posts
just the rubber wearing. I guess not any faster than any other grips.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's about what I was expecting out of them, 3 years or so. That's about what I get out of any grips.

Are they still as hot as when you put them on and it's just the rubber that's wearing out??
Just the rubber wearing, heat still works great

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your gonna love them! Best money I spent (well tied with the winch) on my atv thus far :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
I used the wd-40 and heat gun also when I put the symtecs on and it worked great , but after about 6 months went by they started to get lose and spin on the bars.
When I put the Tusks on I heated the grips and bar with a heat gun and I used fredbears suggestion and sprayed 3m adhesive in the grip and on the bars and slid them on.
Its a little tough pushing them on but they go on. They have not moved since. I'm guessing if I need to remove them in the future the compressed air will still expand the silicone glue and they will blow off.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Just the rubber wearing, heat still works great
Thanks, good to know!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I dunno that 3m stuff sticks pretty good

sent from my android using tapatalk

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a nice clean install.
Hey thanks! I really wanted to do a tap solder like I did when I did my 3 light mod but I figured this would be easier to remove when I need to replace them.

I think I might put in some quick connects next time so if I get a different set in the future I can just add a male end, reconnect and I'm back on the trail.

If the symtecs work well, then I will get another set and I can still use the plug they have, but if I have problems like joyrider I will be on the hunt for something different.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts