Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m trying to install a kfi winch on my 2011 500 ho. I have the winch on but the wiring has me confused. The electrical coming from the handlebar switch has the hookup for the wires on the contactor and I can do that, but it has a red wire coming out as well that obviously has to be connected to hot. I have 2 orange wires and a 4 hole connector that are pre wired under the handlebars. Do I hook the red into those? Or what the heck are they for?? Can I run an extender from the red wire to the red post on my contactor?

I am not mechanically inclined so please talk to me as if I’m 2. It’s probably the only way I will understand.

Thanks guys!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
Those orange wires under the pod light are the aux power. It's keyed power not constant power. So one of the orange wires under the pod light goes to the switch and the second with on the switch goes to the contactor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those orange wires under the pod light are the aux power. It's keyed power not constant power. So one of the orange wires under the pod light goes to the switch and the second with on the switch goes to the contactor.
At the end of the wire from the handlebar switch there is a green and black connection. That plugs into wires off of the contactor. Can I plug my red wire into one of those orange ones to get me the power I need to operate the winch?
Instructions say “ splice the end of the red wire to an ignition controlled power source using the supplied wire splice. The wire should only have power when the key is in the on position”

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
At the end of the wire from the handlebar switch there is a green and black connection. That plugs into wires off of the contactor. Can I plug my red wire into one of those orange ones to get me the power I need to operate the winch?
Instructions say “ splice the end of the red wire to an ignition controlled power source using the supplied wire splice. The wire should only have power when the key is in the on position”
Yes, that's what @bp405 was saying. The red wire can go to the orange with white stripe wire, as that is an ignition controlled circuit.

I would also recommend double checking with a voltmeter, which should be in everyone's toolbox. Switch the meter to VDC, then connect the red lead to the orange/white, then black lead to a ground. When you turn the key, the meter should show 12v. When you turn the key off, the meter will go back to zero if it is an ignition controlled circuit. If it doesn't, you have an always on circuit.

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
Yup that'll get it done. Those orange wires are keyed power sources. So when the to key is in the "ON" position they're powered and when the key is in the "OFF" position they're not.

·
Vendor
395 Posts
We don't sell KFI products as we are our own manufacturer with dealer network, but we are happy to help with tech calls if needed as our techs have years of experience and can give some suggestions if needed. Give us a shout if you need some help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts