Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience / advice re: installing a winch on an XP bike? I bought a WARN 30XT winch and mounting bracket. I see that Polaris already ran the power cables. Before I start fooling around with the installation, I am checking for any pointers, info, etc.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
667 Posts
did my warn they are not real hard. the 12 volt wire for the switch is under the small panel that is under the pod. 2 screws that hold the panel. the wire is orange with white stripe. mount the contactor above the left rear tire on the cross brace on the frame,you will see 2 holes in that brace use them to mount it. use blue loctite on your battery bolts when done so they stay tight. ask if you run into trouble i check here 1 time a day.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey mlpayne, how did the installation go? Did you get everything connected and working right? I installed a Venom so I'm not sure how much help I will be but if you still need any let us know.

If you finished it how about some pics. We always like to see finished products.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pinochle - I have not as yet installed the winch. My winch / mount arrived the night before I left for Montana and I just got back home. I hope to install in the next week and will give a summary of the work when done. My focus this week is work / hunt / sleep. It is early MZ season and game on! I am loving my 550XP on hauling out deer. I should have put an ATV on the farm 20 yrs ago!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SNW - thanks for your reply a few weeks back. I appreciate the info. See prior reply that I've yet to install the winch but will do so soon.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Awesome where in Montana were you and what for? I lived in Bozeman for a year then back in Billings for another 3. I still have family up there also and would love to move back.

Also wondering where on the east coast you live as I am in Virginia and MZ starts this Saturday for us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Closing the loop on this topic re: installing winch on a '09 550 XP EFI. In short, the installation was not hard. Just take your time and pay attention to details. Polaris did a good job of pre-wiring the chassis. The only cable I had to run was from the rocker switch back to the contactor. Not a big deal using a fish tape. I mounted a Warn XT30 in a KPI mount. Instructions from KPI were 550/850 XP specific and right on as were the furnished fasteners with exception of the bolts for the contactor. Used the Warn provided fasteners for the contactor. The only thing I saw that wasn't too cool was the location of the contactor mounting strap; located inside the left rear wheel well on a strap welded to the chassis tubing. Location is convenient to the battery, but I'd rather the contactor not be so exposed. A better place to mount might be to the rear of the battery, but alas the pre-wired cabling isn't long enough. I'm probably worrying about nothing anyhow. I did have some trouble mounting the contactor to the strap as the pre-drilled holes were not flush on both sides of the strap and left me short on the bolts. I had to improvise, adapt, overcome. Helpful hints: You can do the winch / mount installation without removing the front brush guard (if you have one). Just loosen up enough so you can completely remove the silver shield. Leave the bolts to the winch mount a little loose when attaching to the chassis. This will permit you to re-install the silver shield; you will need to push the winch / mount upward and back to get the shield in place. The shield fits flush to the bottom of the roller fairlead. Tighten the winch mount bolts when done.

Note the XT30 comes with a wireless remote - which by the way is very nice! The installation for the wireless receiver / contactor module is quite simple. I mounted mine aft of the battery in the compartment area. I had to run a 16 awg wire from front to rear connecting to the hot switch lead (because you only want the receiver hot when the switch is on). Mounting the receiver to the frame was easy using heavy nylon cable ties. A quick / easy installation that help to protect the receiver and not taking up valuable space in the front area (this is where the instructions recommend installation). I can actuate the winch from a considerable distance and all works great.

Word of caution for those owners who may be interested in using a Glacier plow system - they don't work with KPI mounts! (I don't use a plow). Aside from this down-the-road gottcha, the KPI mount is great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts