Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 2010 Polaris Sportsman 800 is being delivered this morning. Since this is my first unit. I was wondering what kind if any insurance do you carry on your ATV's?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It depends on where you live and ride. In MT, my self and all my buddies, we don't insure our wheelers.
Really? What if it gets stolen? Catches fire? I insure mine more if it gets stolen Bc IF it was stolen I don't want to pay for something I don't have

2013 850ho

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in Saskatchewan, Canada. I insure my 3 snowmobiles and it gets very expensive. Especially when I insure them so I can haul them on my trailer (Collision). Theft and liability is not so bad, but full coverage is very pricey.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well, I leave my keys in my ignition on my wheeler, my 4runner and my crew cab chevy. I don't lock my doors on my house. I couldn't live in a place that I couldn't trust my fellow man. Maybe because everyone that lives here owns guns and isn;t afraid to use them. Keeps people honest I guess.

With respects to fire and damage due to a roll over etc, well that is a concern but not enough for me to throw money at insurance.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Well, I leave my keys in my ignition on my wheeler, my 4runner and my crew cab chevy. I don't lock my doors on my house. I couldn't live in a place that I couldn't trust my fellow man. Maybe because everyone that lives here owns guns and isn;t afraid to use them. Keeps people honest I guess.

With respects to fire and damage due to a roll over etc, well that is a concern but not enough for me to throw money at insurance.
I understand that. But I live close enough to the city that there are dirt bags that would try to steal something while I'm not home. Had a buddy got his wheeler and trailer stolen off his truck while he was in Chilis eating lunch

2013 850ho

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where I live is just like Montana. Only difference here is the gun factor. Even out here in the rurals there are lots of those "dirt bags" and they will steal whatever has keys in it.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I keep full coverage on my 850 and liability on the other 3 atv's I own. Also a liability policy on all my snowmobiles and a couple have an agreed value policy as they are vintage and worth enough to me to wan the money out of them if something were to happen. Atv's cost me about $400/yr with $500 deductible with progressive. The liability is really to protect myself and my assets against an accident. What happens if I hit someone or get hit on the trail? Or if I'm at a friends place doing some work with it and something goes wrong and someone gets hurt? Without any insurance, that cost would come out of my pocket. And I don't have tens of thousands in the bank to be writing a check.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Man that is f'ed up. I made the conclusion years ago that the father north you live the more honest people are. Harsh winters keep people humble. Sure there are dirt bags every where, just fewer of them the father north you go.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I feel insurance can be important. Even though I detest the thought of giving money to someone else that is careless, and collects their $$$ from an accident/incident that they are totally responsible for.
So, I keep full coverage on my 2010 550 and we (the insurance agent and myself) agree on value and make changes whenever I add more "stuff" to my wheeler. Like I added a track system a couple of years ago.
My biggest concern, and I'm cover with a 500$ deductible, is theft or damage while I'm traveling/towing with it. Also I'm covered if I go through the ice while fishing.
That's just me.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My 180$ a yr policy has already paid for itself in the 1 st 6 months I've owned my ATV.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Mine is insured, cant be with out it. Being that toad riding is legal here, really makes sense.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I pay about $400/yr (just went up) for full coverage/ $250 deductible on both our quads through State Farm.

You guys that are worried about accidents, etc while traveling might want to check your vehicle's policy. The way it has been explained to me is that ANYTHING connected to your truck (trailers, quads, etc) is covered by your vehicle's policy in case of accident or theft. Once you disconnect the trailer, it's an entirely different story, though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Full coverage with Progressive Insurance in Pennsylvania cost me $250 the first year of coverage and then they drop it to $175 the 2nd year on out. Pretty reasonable I think. Most ATV Parks require liability at the minimal and that is just $85 a year around here. Nice to have if you need it and your machine is new.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I keep full coverage but one should at least carry liability in case you get in a wreck with another quad on the trail. Inevitably they will come after your assets if it is your fault. Umbrella policies might be a cheaper way to accomplish this if you don't want to carry coverage on your toys.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I pay about $400/yr (just went up) for full coverage/ $250 deductible on both our quads through State Farm.

You guys that are worried about accidents, etc while traveling might want to check your vehicle's policy. The way it has been explained to me is that ANYTHING connected to your truck (trailers, quads, etc) is covered by your vehicle's policy in case of accident or theft. Once you disconnect the trailer, it's an entirely different story, though.
I have St. Farm and that's not the way it was explained to me. I will check with them again and make sure they have it right.

·
Registered
98 Posts
About 20 bucks a month full coverage on the '11 850. Small price to pay IMO even with the deductible given something major happens.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well...I had none for awhile. I have all three I own paid off, but even when I was making payments on them, I had no insurance. I loan mine out at times, and my father once asked me, what if something happens (liability wise). That got me thinking (worrying). So I asked my insurance company for liability and to cover it in transit. I have all my insurance at allstate, and was told they are already covered for some things when on my own property. I think it was $220sh a year for all three.

Sean

·
Registered
109 Posts
Full coverage with liberty mutual, $135 per year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 24 Posts