Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting the carberator back in the intake boot.

I have a couple of theories.

Is it because the elbow is old and dried out and just needs to be replaced?

Is there a better aftermarket elbow? Sometimes, not often, aftermarket parts are better than OEM.

Could it be that I just need to warm the elbow up some to allow the carb to slip in.? The elbow was probaly only about 58 degrees. Things always seem to go better when warm. Plastic and rubber shrink more with temperature.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
If you are having that much trouble, the boot is probably dry and hard. Best to replace it before it cracks and leaks. You can get OEM, or there are several aftermarket companies that make them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are having that much trouble, the boot is probably dry and hard. Best to replace it before it cracks and leaks. You can get OEM, or there are several aftermarket companies that make them.
Thanks. Are there any tips and tricks to replacing the elbow? Do I need anything in addition to the elbow? Is there any sealant or antisieze used in the process? What are the torque specs for the bolts that hold the elbow on?

It does not look like the previous owner had the carb installed all the way into the elbow the last time itvwas installed.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
No tricks, just an 8mm Allen head on the bolts. Might need a gasket but most new ones have an o-ring seal. Can’t remember the torque specs. Smaller bolts like that I tighten by feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
14 ft lbs torque - no gasket on OEM and no sealer is required or called for - aftermarket might have an o-ring seal or a gasket depending on the manufacturer and/or design, but no sealer is called for on either one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My elbow cracked without messing with it at all on my 04. Bought an aftermarket and had the same issue with it not fitting. I would suggest just getting the OEM especially with an 01. A bit more money than an aftermarket but it fit first time no issues.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. For now I warmed it up with a heat gun and it slid together easily. This thing has been sitting tore apart for 4 years. I've already dumped a bunch of parts in it. Until itvis going, I'm trying to stifle myself.

New issue. I ran the wiring harness from the engine to under the hood. I have 3 plugs that are not plugged into anything. Things are even harder when you weren't the disasembler. LOL

One plug comes off the same harness as the left front headlight. There are 2 yellow wires , 1 with a red or blue stripe, with female connectors. I saw something about voltage regulator or something on the schematic. Not many yellow wires on the schematic

If anybody has any more words of wisdom, I'm wide open to suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Both the yel/red and yellow wires plug into the rec/reg - with the engine running, you should be able to read AC voltage that will increase with engine speed - not connecting them will not prevent the engine from starting and running, but the battery will not charge either.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both the yel/red and yellow wires plug into the rec/reg - with the engine running, you should be able to read AC voltage that will increase with engine speed - not connecting them will not prevent the engine from starting and running, but the battery will not charge either.
Where is that located? What does it look like?

Thank you much.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I was looking for something in that area as that is where the wires seemed to want to go. Can you tell me anything about the other double female plug on the left headlight harness?

·
9,430 Posts
Get some more pictures. I just now saw your first pic and you ain't got enough of the right looking wires there for the VR. They should all be bullet connectors like the yellows.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now I have a question on the carberator. There is a little hollow stub on each side. I saw a picture and it looked to me like there should be a rubber 90 on each side, running to a T and then to the yellow line sticking out of the frame.

Is this correct? How would the machine run with nothing on these and the - what I think is a vent line. Running open?

If I am way off base, what does the yellow line coming out of the frame go to?

Where is the best place to get the vent lines if that is what I need?

Thank you again

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
20200202_173322.jpg
20200202_173322.jpg
20200202_173231.jpg
20200202_173231.jpg
20200202_173231.jpg

Now I have a question on the carberator. There is a little hollow stub on each side. I saw a picture and it looked to me like there should be a rubber 90 on each side, running to a T and then to the yellow line sticking out of the frame.

Is this correct? How would the machine run with nothing on these and the - what I think is a vent line. Running open?

If I am way off base, what does the yellow line coming out of the frame go to?

Where is the best place to get the vent lines if that is what I need?

Thank you again
The left sidebhas the green cap on it. The otherbside had no cap. I don't know why the pictures posted in multiples. I could not figure out how to make the extra pics go away or how to edit anything

1 - 20 of 45 Posts