Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 ranger 500 efi 4x4
Has anyone ever changed out the two intake filters under the hood with any kind of aftermarket filters? The stock filters just dont seem like they are very good.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Those filters are just pre-filters for the intake ducting - they do not need to be 'better?'

Just get a block of open cell foam (sold in varying degrees of coarseness), use an electric carving knife to cut the foam to the desired size and install them in place of the OEM filter, but keep in mind that if the foam is too fine, it may cause the engine to run rich and too too coarse it may let in too much dirt for the actual filter to handle. It will simply shorten the life of the actual air filter.

I know some performance freaks that remove the filters for maximum air flow - they say they will just replace the filter more frequently - in actuality they install a K&N filter and say they paid $75 for a filter that will last forever, but they fail to buy the air filter service kit - they end up never servicing the filter and then can't figure out what caused the engine to fail in a single summer of riding.

·
10,412 Posts
Those are just a prefilter to help catch bigger stuff like leaves and things to keep them from getting into and clogging the intake ducts restricting flow over time. They're not really for catching dust. That's the main filter's job. They act more like a screen for bigger stuff. Unless yours are starting to crumble apart from age I'd just wash or blow them out on occasion and not worry about it. You don't want much restriction on those intakes or your clutches will run hotter (not good/hard on belts) and you'd restrict engine air flow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts