Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time posting.

My 2003 polaris sportsman 600 twin was stolen and eventually returned to me in not the same condition. It seems the thief was having mechanical problems and took quite a bit of the quad apart. There are a lot of pieces missing and some may or may not be.

To be able to get my quad running again I have decided to purchase a functional quad to use as a copy for the rebuilding of the old quad. That way I would know exactly what pieces are missing and or damaged. Once I get the old one running I would sell one of them.

All this to get to my real question; which years of that model are compatible. Do I have to get the same year (2003) or are there other years the parts will work? How about the 700 twin?

The motor does not seem to be touch. Alot of the wiring is spliced and the coils are missing along with the spark plug wires.

Thanks in advanced

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
11,302 Posts
Here's a link to the Polaris parts catalog. Just click on the "usage" tab for any part to get a list of different machines that use that particular part.

Browse

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear your bike was stolen. At least you got it back, which is something most people cannot say. It would seem to me an expensive way to get the quad back up and running. I would bring the quad to the dealer and show it to one of the mechanics. Even if it costs you a few bucks in a tip, to have the mechanic go over it to see what is missing. Catalog what he says looks to be missing and start from there. It will not only save you some money, but build a repoire with a mechanic should you need help down the line (with the rebuild.) Shelling out the cash up front for a machine you're just going to use as a "model" seems overboard to me. Especially if you're just going to sell it down the line. Why lose the depreciation money? You can just put that cash into the quad you've gotten back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your replies.

That polaris parts catalog will come in very handy.

I don't think a mechanic will take the time needed to search over the ATV to find the missing parts and possibly the cause of why the parts are missing without some monetary compensation. Also believe it would take more than one visit to get everything sorted out. It comes down to-will the cost of the depreciation be more than the cost of the mechanics time? I guess the big factor there is if I find an ATV at a good price or not. Should not depreciate too much while I have it. It would be a 2003 model (or near then) and I would have it for only a week or so till I put it back on the market.

I really need to know is what years of that model were the same? I would have a larger market of ATVs to look for if I had more years to choose from.

Thanks again

·
Registered
420 Posts
You can find an index of interchangeability for any polaris part.

Go to the Polaris Parts Catalog. Here is the LINK: Polaris You need to sign up for an account.

Find your quad in the index, then use the diagrams to find the part

In the listing of parts, there is a part number AND A BUTTON THAT SAYS "USAGE". Click that USAGE button and then you will see all the places that part is used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts