Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Polaris Trail Boss 330, I don't know the year because I just got it and haven't been able to do much with it yet, but I picked it up free. I don't know if it works or not, but I noticed the transmission isn't hooked up and I saw it is missing the Secondary Drive Clutch so I was wondering if there is one I could get for cheap used that may be for another model that will work for it.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Used parts from powersportsnation.com or Ebay. You will need to know the year. 10th digit of the VIN denotes the year. It will be at least a 2003 or newer. Up until then the engine was 325cc. Check the lower left frame rail for the 17 digit VIN unless you are lucky enough that the sticker is still on the hood

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just about any Polaris secondary will work.
Does it have to be a 330cc one or would say a 250 work, I will find out the year when I get home by the end of the week or next Monday for sure, just figured I'd see what I am looking at. As for the transmission, I don't know if something is wrong with it or not it isn't mounted so the old owner must have had a good reason it has rust on some of the shafts I guess I will need to crack the case and inspect the gears inside and find out if anything is amiss.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
There may be a difference in the helix inside the clutch between the 330 and 250. I know there is a difference between the 325 helix and 330 helix. You should probably take whatever you get apart to check the buttons inside anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There may be a difference in the helix inside the clutch between the 330 and 250. I know there is a difference between the 325 helix and 330 helix. You should probably take whatever you get apart to check the buttons inside anyway.
Are you talking about the splines inside the Secondary clutch possibly being smaller or bigger diameter that slides onto one of the drive shafts of the transmission? If so I was thinking they may be different I guess I'd have to measure the diameter and see if anyone here knows of one that will fit. Alas I cannot provide more info except for what I have already. Though I did take a picture of the label on the engine and the transmission maybe that will help?
First picture is the sticker on the transmission, 2nd picture is the sticker on the engine on top 3rd sticker is on side of the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
No, the splines on the transmission input shaft will be the same. I am talking about the part that is inside the clutch and moves the two halves of the clutch apart as the RPM goes up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah okay, to be honest I have never repaired a ATV before right now I have almost finished repairing a Kymco MXU 250 I had to replace the wiring harness and a few other parts, so I don't quite know what all the parts are called yet I am still learning.

Would any of those pictures help identify the year of my machine or what secondary driven clutch will fit?

·
8,882 Posts
ANY Polaris clutch you can find will work for what you need right now. You can worry about tuning or repairs later. You don't even know if the tranny is any good at this point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ANY Polaris clutch you can find will work for what you need right now. You can worry about tuning or repairs later. You don't even know if the tranny is any good at this point.
I definitely don't, I tend to plan ahead even while considering certain variables, so if I can find a somewhat accurate price on a part I will need, and if everything else works then I know what I'm looking at. As I said the transmission may need repairs that I don't know about but hopefully once I get home, I can find out if the engine starts if it doesn't I will have to work on getting that running first.

·
8,882 Posts
Driven clutch, part number 1321848, was used on the machines listed below. New is around $400. There's lots of used ones from around $40 to about half the price of new. I'd just get a cheap working used one till I saw if the rest of the machine was going to pan out and then either rebuild the one you have or get a better one... But that's just me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate the replies, I don't intend on buying anything for it until I first find out if the engine works or not, if I can't get it to fire I will have to first check it out and try and fix it. But if it does fire up then I can go from there.

I have a question about a non Polaris ATV if anyone can answer, I have a Kymco MXU 250 and I have it almost fixed, had to replace the wiring harness and switch out the instrument panel, so I get it to fire right up almost immediately after using the push button start but my question is about the fan for the radiator. The fan doesn't turn on, I haven't run it for more than a minute or two but I was wondering if it is supposed to turn on immediately when I start it or how long does it take exactly to start up.

·
8,882 Posts
No, the fan won't come on till it gets about 190-195* and then will shut off when it cools to around 180. If the fan ran all the time the engine wouldn't stay at the optimum temp to run efficiently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah okay, I was worried about running it for longer when it didn't come on, I have a infrared thermometer I just got I can probably use to monitor the engine Temps with.

Edit, when I was running it, I could feel the antifreeze running through the radiator getting it warm.

·
8,882 Posts
That's coolant temp so you'd need to monitor the radiator. It'll have to run a pretty good while for the fan to kick on at idle.

·
8,882 Posts
Yes, that would give you the most accurate coolant reading I'd think. I just went through servicing and checked out a MXU 500 a friend of mine bought and those are quality little machines from what I can tell. I was impressed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, that would give you the most accurate coolant reading I'd think. I just went through servicing and checked out a MXU 500 a friend of mine bought and those are quality little machines from what I can tell. I was impressed.
Yeah it seems to be pretty good thus far, I haven't tuned the carburetor fully but it idles decent at the moment, I am still new to tuning carburetors I still have to tune the one on my 84 Honda ATC200S, I got it to rich I think since I'm getting black smoke instead of clear before I took it apart to clean it and removed all the parts from it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, so I got home finally.. I did get the VIN off the frame but I can't get it to check on any Vin checking sites I used an app but it said it was a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 6X6 maybe someone can find out the year for me if I provide the VIN or check it with a actual good checker. 4XACA32A248397617 is the VIN I pull off it and here is a Pic of it.

·
8,882 Posts
Here ya go. Looks like its a 2004 Trail Boss 330. This is from the Car Fax VIN checker.
Apparently the frame moved while the VIN embossing machine was doing its thing lol.
10th digit of the VIN is the year model

2004 POLARIS TRAIL BOSS 330

VIN: 4XACA32A24B397617

1 - 20 of 24 Posts