Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here ya go. Looks like its a 2004 Trail Boss 330. This is from the Car Fax VIN checker.
Apparently the frame moved while the VIN embossing machine was doing its thing lol.
10th digit of the VIN is the year model

2004 POLARIS TRAIL BOSS 330

VIN: 4XACA32A24B397617
Yeah that's what I was thinking, when I first took a look at it I thought maybe it was 1 33 but then noticed since it was off center it looked more like an 8, would you mind providing a link to that VIN website maybe I can use it for other ATV's or motorcycles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here ya go. Looks like its a 2004 Trail Boss 330. This is from the Car Fax VIN checker.
Apparently the frame moved while the VIN embossing machine was doing its thing lol.
10th digit of the VIN is the year model

2004 POLARIS TRAIL BOSS 330

VIN: 4XACA32A24B397617
WOW you know what I didn't consider that it was a B instead of an 8 thank you for that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Here ya go.
Appreciate the help, I don't think I will buy the clutch until I find out if the engine runs or not and when I tear open the transmission to find out if it's fixable for cheap or not. I also just picked up a 97 Yamaha Big Bear 350 today that I want to work on first along with that Kymco. The Big Bear did run about 2 years ago then sat so I'm hoping for an easy fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey polman got a question for you regarding the Kymco it's up and running now with a good used carb from another mxu atv. Anyways I ran it around for about 5 - 10 minutes and the fan didn't turn on, and then I let it idle for about 5 minutes more and it still didn't turn on. I was wondering if that would mean the Thermostat is bad or not. Because i did bridge the connectors for the Thermostat together and the fan kicked on then. How would I check the thermostat to see if it's bad or not, with a multimeter or? Also could I just hook up a toggle switch to turn it on while running it or?

·
9,186 Posts
Hey polman got a question for you regarding the Kymco it's up and running now with a good used carb from another mxu atv. Anyways I ran it around for about 5 - 10 minutes and the fan didn't turn on, and then I let it idle for about 5 minutes more and it still didn't turn on. I was wondering if that would mean the Thermostat is bad or not. Because i did bridge the connectors for the Thermostat together and the fan kicked on then. How would I check the thermostat to see if it's bad or not, with a multimeter or? Also could I just hook up a toggle switch to turn it on while running it or?
Your thermostat is in the water manifold in the cylinder head. It has no electrical connections and simply opens at a given temp to allow coolant to flow from the engine to the radiator.
Sounds like you're talking about the thermo fan switch in the radiator... part number 37760. You can take it out and suspend it in a pot of heated water to around 180 + degrees it should have continuity (on). At around 150 degrees should be (off)… no continuity.
Yes, you can just wire in a toggle switch to turn it on but that's not fixing the machine that's cobbling it up.
First of all make sure your radiator is completely full. That switch is in the top of the radiator if I'm not mistaken and must be submerged to work.
If you think you need one here's a link to one for $6.55 from Hong Kong or you might just get it out and match it up at a local auto parts store. I think Suzuki, Honda, Ktm, Husky and many others use the same switch.
There's a bunch used and new on ebay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Your thermostat is in the water manifold in the cylinder head. It has no electrical connections and simply opens at a given temp to allow coolant to flow from the engine to the radiator.
Sounds like you're talking about the thermo fan switch in the radiator... part number 37760. You can take it out and suspend it in a pot of heated water to around 180 + degrees it should have continuity (on). At around 150 degrees should be (off)… no continuity.
Yes, you can just wire in a toggle switch to turn it on but that's not fixing the machine that's cobbling it up.
First of all make sure your radiator is completely full. That switch is in the top of the radiator if I'm not mistaken and must be submerged to work.
If you think you need one here's a link to one for $6.55 from Hong Kong or you might just get it out and match it up at a local auto parts store. I think Suzuki, Honda, Ktm, Husky and many others use the same switch.
There's a bunch used and new on ebay.
I saw a switch like that similar on Amazon, I wonder if my Polaris would have that part I could steal off of it. But yes that was what I was talking about I did make sure the radiator was full I filled it up and I could feel the nut on that sensor getting hot. But I want to sell it and if I can't get the part until January then I guess I'd just cobble it up as you say and tell the new owner they have to replace that. I have a heat gun goes up to 900+ degrees and would that work to test the continuity of the sensor?

·
9,186 Posts
Yeah, you should be able to run the machine to get it hot and test. In cold temps it may take some load for a pretty good while to get it hot enough for the fan to kick on. It'll heat up faster sitting in the garage running without air movement than riding around easy in the cold.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts