Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after buying my 850 I realized stock tires are not going to get me anywhere. I purchased a set of 27" Swamp Lites. The Swamp Lites are a great tire, light weight and awesome handling characteristics for hard packed trail riding. The Swamp Lites did great in the mud as well. The only time I was stuck in the mud was when I got high centered. Swamp Lites only come in a 28" tall tire and I wanted to go bigger. I found the ITP Mayhem series, Monster being the 30". Based on the tread design they say not only will they work great in the mud but they will also perform well on hard packed surfaces. My 850 is in the shop with electrical issues so I will be testing the tires on my 550 tomorrow without a clutch kit. When I get my 850 back I will install a clutch kit with these tires. Till then I'm testing tomorrow on my 550. I will give a review with video. I will go places my Swamp Lites couldn't cut it and see if the Monster Mayhems pull through. :cowboy:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can't wait to hear and see the results.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'll be making the same decision soon

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Swamp lites do come in a larger size. I used to run 29.5 swamp lites. You will like the mayhems better. They clean out better than the swamp lites.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swamp lites do come in a larger size. I used to run 29.5 swamp lites. You will like the mayhems better. They clean out better than the swamp lites.
Largest swamp lite I've seen is 28". I have not found a site yet that carries a 29.5".

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately my 850 was in the shop with my swamp lites on it. I did go through the same mud hole in this video the day the first part was filmed. I was able to get through without any issues on my swamp lites. I did need to hit the mud hole with some speed to get through with the swamp lites. I put the Monster Mayhems on the a completely stock 550. I had no issues with power and the 550 crawled through the mud hole even after everyone had rutted it up. The Monsters are bumpy until you hit 15mph or higher then they are smooth. I went into the water with the Monsters and I was able to water wheely much easier then I did with swamp lites. These tires definitely have much more bite than the swamp lite but lack the smooth trail capability. I run a 27" swamp lite so the 28" would work even better in mud situations but I still would take the Monsters for water wheelying any day of the week. For an all around tire for mud and trail the swamp lites are amazing! For straight mud and creeks with loose sandy bottoms the Monsters are undeniably the winner. :) Any other questions please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Largest swamp lite I've seen is 28". I have not found a site yet that carries a 29.5".
I see now that you have a XP, probably with 14" wheels. the reason why you can't find them is that they only come in a 28" for a 14" wheel, but do come in a 29.5 for a 12" wheel.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
214 Posts
Scotty... I see the swamp lites performed ok, but how would you compare them to the zilla's? I'm in the middle between the swamp lites and the zilla's.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scotty... I see the swamp lites performed ok, but how would you compare them to the zilla's? I'm in the middle between the swamp lites and the zilla's.
The Zilla' is slightly lighter but the Swamp lite has a slightly deeper tread depth. My Swamp lites ride super smooth and I can drift around corners. My swamp lites made it through tough mud trails that straight mud tires were even having trouble with. I don't know the ride quality of the Silas but I am super impressed with the Swamp lites as an all around tire for hard packed and mud. I need a lot of bite for my water wheelies which is why I went towards a more straight mud tire in the Monster Mayhem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I see now that you have a XP, probably with 14" wheels. the reason why you can't find them is that they only come in a 28" for a 14" wheel, but do come in a 29.5 for a 12" wheel.
How do you like your QSC clutch kit? Mine goes onto my 850 tomorrow night along with my Monsters.
I like it. I have tried other setups, but they just didn't seem to perform as well as my QSC. I ride only mud, so have mine set up for a lot of low end grunt. I have never had an issue turning 29.5 outlaws in thick peanut butter mud.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you like your QSC clutch kit? Mine goes onto my 850 tomorrow night along with my Monsters.
I like it. I have tried other setups, but they just didn't seem to perform as well as my QSC. I ride only mud, so have mine set up for a lot of low end grunt. I have never had an issue turning 29.5 outlaws in thick peanut butter mud.
Do you know where I can find a video on the installation? I know it seems pretty self explanatory based on the parts but I like to see it done before doing it and there were no instructions to guide me.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked with EPI on the phone and they lead me to this exact video. Thank you for sharing, its much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts