Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long time Polaris owner. I have a 2012 500 Sporty and a 2004 700 Sporty along with an Artic Cat 366.

I use them for hunting on my lease. My brother calls me from Connecticut and tells me a story of a friend of ours in the car biz that has a franchise called Hisun atvs.

He had a left over 2015 700 he needed to sell to get off his floor plan. 7 miles, brand new.

My brother is all effusive saying it looks like his own blue and yellow limited 500 Sportsman and how he'd buy it blah blah blah.

So for the helllll of it, I offered $3500 for it. He said he was going to try 1 more auction then get back to us.

Well he gets back to us and I offer $3500 again and Do the deal @ $3600.

I figure I can't go wrong @ that price. Chinese made, plant in Texas where they are assembled and distributed.

Does anyone have anything on these bikes ? What should I expect ?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I can tell you that it is a bored 660 and they do share alot of yamaha parts. Other than that Hisun's quality has improved since back in '08 so it shouldn't be too bad of a machine. Adjust the valves and get a UNI air filter for it and should be good to go. Back in the old days they used to put some kind of weird oil in them, that wasn't quite up to snuff, so you may want to look at the owners manual or ask that dealer if it needs changed out soon.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro

It's brand new. Should I get rid of the oil that's in there already because it's that bad ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Thanks bro

It's brand new. Should I get rid of the oil that's in there already because it's that bad ?

I think I would if it were mine. Just keep in mind that these have a wet clutch and need an oil that is JASO rated.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Couldn't give me a piece of China shit. They have come a long way, but not far enough.

The electrical is piss poor and the fuel systems are usually junk.
Any difference from a polaris?:big-grin
Polaris is opposite, they started out strong and have turned to garbage. Chinese stuff started out garbage and improving every year.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I've owned several Polaris atvs and loved them all. Some of the bigger motor stuff had issues. But I am not sure there is a better value than a 500 Sportsman , Honda Foreman be damned.

As for Chinese stuff ? Some of the best things I've ever bought were made in China and bought with low American dollars. As I stated, bought 1 generator for my hunting camp that's 10,000 watts, stone cold ROCK STAR ⭐ so much, I bought another.

This is a little more investment @ $3600 but it's a 700 with 7 miles on it and never titled. Rolling the dice . Made in China, assembled in Texas, dealers throughout Texas and Florida making parts feasible.

But ? Lol changing the oil after 100 miles or so with some high end stuff. Being a car dealer, I understand the value of good lubication in gas, oil and fluids.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If I am not mistaken those have a Linhai engine, it's a Yamaha clone and much better than the Honda clone I have seen. I would recommend to dielectric grease all connections cause some of those Hisuns have questionable electrical connections.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help ya'll.

I'm in Connecticut now and the ATV is here. I arranged on UShip to ship it to Florida. Dad had a heart ❤ procedure today so I came north.

The bike is pretty awesome ! Lotsa little features, hand guards, blinker lights, horn, winch, racks front and back. Good stuff.

The wildest option is not only does it have 4WD it has an option for locking differential.

When engaged this way, there is very little turning radius and it has heel blocks on both sides to use as body weight transfer.

I really like it and might use it more than my ole trusty 2012 500 Sportsman.

Oh and guess this ? Stock tires ? Lol 489's by Carlisle!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well this Hisun 700 made it to me in Florida. Got it parked next to my my 500 and 700 Sportsmen’s.

Was reading the manual on oil. Someone here mentioned to change it, which I will do after a few break in miles.

Issue is, manual says, the oil involves the clutch and needs a certain spec. It names no brand as a reference ! Lol

Was wondering if Polaris oil would be ok ?

Manual says API Service SE,SF,SG type or higher.

My heat range places me in a SAE 20W40.

It states diesel CD or Energy Conserving II or higher are out.

Question is, what does it leave me with ?

I prefer a full synthetic but not sure if it would work. Manual does not say or reject synthetic but the weight range seems to be synthetic?

Any ideas ? Thanks

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Right. You'll need a motor oil that is labeled with a JASO rating, this is for the wet clutch. Even wal mart has this. Usually an oil that is marketed for motorcycle or atv.
They do make synthetic that has this rating but pickins' are kinda slim . Also you may want to get more hours on it before you switch to synthetic motor oil just to make sure the rings are seated.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I have been an authorized Hi Sun warranty repair for several years (I work on most makes and models of motorcycles and ATV's). I'm also authorized for American Sport Works, Land Master, BMS, Lance, Razor, KeeWay, Ice Bear, Baja, MotoVox, Monster Moto, Roketa and various other brands. I take pride in fixing the products manufactured in all parts of the world and owned by Americans. I repair the Chinese portable generators used by our nearby nuclear power station. The biggest problem with the Chinese products? The metallurgy of the frames and our SFF (shit for fuel) alcohol blended gas.

The alcohol damages plastic and rubber parts. Since the alcohol manufacturers started making alcohol from algae, another problem reared it's ugly head. Introduce a bit of water into the alcohol and two thing happen; the alcohol becomes heavier than the gasoline and settles to the bottom of the fuel tank. This is commonly referred to as "phase separation" and the algae, which exists dormant in the alcohol, begins to multiply, clogging filters and jets and leaving a slimy coating on the inside of fuel tanks and carbs. This is especially a problem on seasonal and infrequently used equipment.

Use 92 or 93 octane fuel (alcohol free if available) - use ETHANOL EQUALIZER to prevent phase separation which appears to prevent the growth of algae also.

Enjoy your Chinese quad - they will not hold up to jumping, repeated or continuous high speed cornering and highway speeds, but service them regularly and operate them sensibly and they will last for years.

BTW, they have the same electrics as certain Polaris's, Arctic Cat's, Suzuki's, Yamaha's and Honda's.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Clone NOT

If I am not mistaken those have a Linhai engine, it's a Yamaha clone and much better than the Honda clone I have seen. I would recommend to dielectric grease all connections cause some of those Hisuns have questionable electrical connections.
Linhai made motors for Yamaha, so it's not a Yamaha clone, it's a Yamaha engine made by Linhai. More like a Ford motor made in Windsor Canada. It's still a Ford motor.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Oil

Well this Hisun 700 made it to me in Florida. Got it parked next to my my 500 and 700 Sportsmen’s.

Was reading the manual on oil. Someone here mentioned to change it, which I will do after a few break in miles.

Issue is, manual says, the oil involves the clutch and needs a certain spec. It names no brand as a reference ! Lol

Was wondering if Polaris oil would be ok ?

Manual says API Service SE,SF,SG type or higher.

My heat range places me in a SAE 20W40.

It states diesel CD or Energy Conserving II or higher are out.

Question is, what does it leave me with ?

I prefer a full synthetic but not sure if it would work. Manual does not say or reject synthetic but the weight range seems to be synthetic?

Any ideas ? Thanks

Any JASO rated oil is fine - an API rated oil SH or lower is fine - Mobil has a full synthetic Mobil 1 branded oil that is available at certain auto supply stores (like AutoZone) that is JASO rated

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did anyone ever tell you that you guys ROCK ? Thank you so much.

Latebird,, I might be touching base with you on what oil you feel works best all things considered. I was utubing and saw how car oil is NG because it has metal bonding additives that cost metal to retard friction while wet clutches need friction. What a dilemma.

I found a couple 20W40 oils on line that seemed good. Amsoil being one. I’m going to get the best I can find along with the filter which I just bought on eBay for $8 shipped.

Thanks again and keep the ideas flowing. I was hoping the Polaris oil I use could be used thereby making changes a bit easier. I can buy a gallon and do 3-4 bikes.

I did notice most oil is “motorcycle “ oil, which sounds logical.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can a Polaris man be persuaded ?

Took the new wheeler out hunting today. Nice, quiet and comfortable. I have some short video but the option to upload vid doesn’t exist only pics.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Mobil makes motor oil that is rated for motorcycle wet clutch application, i have used it in 2 strokes quads with wet clutches with no issues.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts