Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would share a bit of a story with you guys, I thought it was cool anyways.

I have a friend that works at a railroad car repair shop here in town. They have 12 sets of tracks that very in length but cover a total of 6 miles. So in 02 they bought 2 new Honda rancher 400 4x4 1 green and the other red. Well 2 months after they bought these the green one was stolen and a month later found in the river by a crane operator while building a bridge. No telling how long it had been in the water the railcar shop takes it in to have it looked at and they get it running for them with just changing the fluids and things. Well 11 years later and 43000 miles the Honda finally died and is not worth fixing!!!! The only thing they did to it was put a new piston and rings in it at 29000, and tires when needed.
That has to say something about those Hondas LOL. I don't care for them but holy cow that is some miles for going no father then 6 miles in 1 direction.
Anyways just thought I would share that story with you guys.
P.S there really isn't much left of the poor thing but hey what can you say.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't doubt the Honda at all. My 450 was great but I was got to a point where I needed 2 up and independent suspension. Unfortunately Honda had neither at the time so I gave Polaris a try as I always had great luck with their sleds.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Dealer around here said the Rincons are snatched up by rail yards because of the tranny...they use them all day every day for thousands of miles...you certainly cant beat their dependability...but of course that comes with not having as much technology and power...but they are certainly put together well

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Dealer around here said the Rincons are snatched up by rail yards because of the tranny...they use them all day every day for thousands of miles...you certainly cant beat their dependability...but of course that comes with not having as much technology and power...but they are certainly put together well
The hondamatic in the rincon is an awesome transmission. I wish they had full IRS on the rincon, i would probably own one if they did.

Now, the honda car trans in the rubicon, avoid it totally!!

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just thought I would share a bit of a story with you guys, I thought it was cool anyways.

I have a friend that works at a railroad car repair shop here in town. They have 12 sets of tracks that very in length but cover a total of 6 miles. So in 02 they bought 2 new Honda rancher 400 4x4 1 green and the other red. Well 2 months after they bought these the green one was stolen and a month later found in the river by a crane operator while building a bridge. No telling how long it had been in the water the railcar shop takes it in to have it looked at and they get it running for them with just changing the fluids and things. Well 11 years later and 43000 miles the Honda finally died and is not worth fixing!!!! The only thing they did to it was put a new piston and rings in it at 29000, and tires when needed.
That has to say something about those Hondas LOL. I don't care for them but holy cow that is some miles for going no father then 6 miles in 1 direction.
Anyways just thought I would share that story with you guys.
P.S there really isn't much left of the poor thing but hey what can you say.
Talk about bragging rights, What a commercial that would make?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The hondamatic in the rincon is an awesome transmission. I wish they had full IRS on the rincon, i would probably own one if they did.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
The rincon is IRS.

And the later rubicon trans is a very good trans too!! I had an 07. the early rubicons weren't very good.

2013 850ho

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
The rincon is IRS.

And the later rubicon trans is a very good trans too!! I had an 07. the early rubicons weren't very good.

2013 850ho
It is a tube axle with one shock? I mean the 500 with Hondamayic. I meant full irs like Polaris. The Hondamatic will stand the test of time, but the car trans??

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The rubicon has a solid rear axle with 2 shocks. The rincon is IRS. They both have auto trans. The rincon is the car like trans.

2013 850ho

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Having owned a 2000 Honda Rancher 350.... I'll believe that story. That little thing didn't need anything but oil changes while I owned it. Now my father in law owns it and that is still all I have to do to it. With the exception of a new choke cable this spring, which was broken by human error on a moose hunting trip last year, that it was loaned out on! Found out the pull knob end attachment to the bars was broken/cracked (plastic) when he went to fire it up last winter.

Prior to that my dad owned a 1995 Honda Fourtraks 300.... never did anything but oil changes to that to. He sold it to a friend of mine on the fire department that uses it around the yard and to plow snow...... hasn't touched it either.

The older Fourtraks 300 and Ranchers 350's are TOUGH little machines.

PS. But a ruff ride, nothing like the plush Popo's of today!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had an 03 Rancher 350 x ES and I beat that thing like it owed me money for 4,300 miles and other than fluids the only thing I replaced was the gasket of the valve cover and the boots of the Warn 424 selector. I miss that rascal, my son grew rode with me around the yard since he was 8 months old and he often wanted to ride on it so he could fall asleep. I regret selling it to be honest.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The rubicon has a solid rear axle with 2 shocks. The rincon is IRS. They both have auto trans. The rincon is the car like trans.

2013 850ho
Thanks for straightening that out...I was just getting ready to do it! :fing02:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My dad is still using his '85 Honda Fourtrax 250 he bought new. The starter is the only thing that has ever gone out and carb is still stock. I picked up the same model from a retired couple a few years back and it is in great shape.

I'm sure a Rincon is a fine ATV but that transmission really limits its abilities in more technical riding. I am glad i didn't buy the one I was shopping for when I bought my 700. I would have been severely disappointed in it's abilities on hills and rock riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts