Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 xplorer 250 4x4

I noticed last week the neutral light wouldn't always come on. it I turned the key off and on once or twice the light would come on and itd start fine. now the neutral light wont come on at all so I have no electric start now. I can pull start it fine. where should I start looking? I checked the wires at the key switc and they all look fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A wiring diagram will help so you know what wires to test. I would probably start with testing the wires from the neutral switch to check for open/closed connections as you shift in and out of neutral. If it works by turning the key on and off OR by top charging the battery, it could be a bad wiring connection, so take apart any connections from the switch and check for dirt or corrosion and put some di-electic in there when you put it back together. It could be a shifter problem not actuating the switch properly as well. If you pull the brake do you get electric start again? It works that way on my Xpedition and could get you by for now. Good luck

·
8,874 Posts
Uhh… The neutral light working or not working has nothing to do with starting.
The machine should start in any gear.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Polman is right - the neutral light has nothing to do with whether the starter works or not - your problem is either poor connections (battery is a good place to start), faulty key switch or faulty handlebar switch (or faulty handlebar switch connectors) - you just do not have power to the starter solenoid if you do not have power to the neutral light and BTW if there is no power to the neutral light, there is no power to the reverse light either. If you have no neutral light, but have a headlight then the problem is the forward connector at the handlebar switch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No my bike will not start if the atv is not in neutral. That is the problem i have to keep cycling the shifter to get the light to come on so it can start

1 - 7 of 7 Posts