Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I asked this earlier to day but it might have disappeared. I'm new here.

Anyways, I have a 2000 250 Explorer & when I plow snow the AWD works fine for 15 minutes then only 2WD. I turn it off and come back in a half hour and the AWD works fine. It has 12 volts to the lower gray/white wire when the key is on. Does anyone know how to fix this? The light on the AWD switch goes on when you turn the key on.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
change the fluid in your front hubs. That gets rid of most issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done that numerous times in the past 12 years and it usually works, but not this time. Thanks, though.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you have power to the magnet then pull hub apart and check magnet pull and armature plates to make sure they are flat. I have had magnets get weak but not both at same time

·
Registered
376 Posts
lift your quad up off the ground and start it up see which wheel isnt turning, also ohm test the wires should be 25 ohms to the coils, most likely armature plate is worn

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I DON'T KNOW WHAT AN ARMATURE PLATE IS OR HOW TO FIND IT. I guess I'll have to "study up".

Thanks for the suggestions offered!

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you pull the hub off the armature plate is a thin plate with 3 teeth on it that sits between the magnet and the roller cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Is the machine charging right? Does it have a good battery? Should have 12.3 or more volts when shut off and 13.5-14-5 when running and revved up a little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help. We have almost 2' snow or more in drifts so I will probably have to wait until spring to fix it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help. The quick & dirty fix for me was to connect a red/white wire to a grey/white wire, and like magic I have awd again, unless the handlebar switch is off. I think this bypassed all the safety crap like the reverse cutout, etc.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Yea, that was my next suggestion. to run a power wire from circuit board to hub wires, this bypassed the shifter switch which was probably the problem . Make sure that wire shuts off when key is off or youll run down the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts