Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any of you guys seen a video shootout of those two contenders on the net? or at least a drag race. I'm curious to see how both stack up against each other. Even the dirttrax team said it would make a nice shoutout but havent come up with one.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
looking at numbers the Grizz might be a faster quad, but probably doesnt ride like a Polaris. The Yamaha is 648Lbs Wet and Polaris is 733 Dry. 558cc vs 549cc. I cant find power numbers from Yamaha but the 550 is rated at 42. i cant find a compression ratio for the Polaris, Yamaha is 9.31:1.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a grizzly and I must say it feels like the eps is broken when riding a polaris back to back

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have ridden both and previously owned a 550 touring. The Griz 550 is a little faster but that is about the only thing that is better on it. That is my opinion, I am sure Grizzly owners will like their machines better than Sportsmans. The Grizzly is much more likely to roll over with the short wheelbase. Check out the Grizzly roll over club on other forums. The Sportsman 550 is a much more comfortable and safer ride. Only a little slower than the Grizzly. With rebates, XP 550s with EPS were $7295 at my dealer. Not sure what Grizzly 550s with EPS are but I would guess more than a Sportsman 550 EPS. There was a shootout between these machines and a King Quad 500 EPS in one of the magazines a few years ago. Don't remember if they even called a winner. Every machine is good at some things and not so good at others. Depends on what you are looking for in the atv you want to buy. As far as the videos the manufacturers make for comparisons, they are even more biased than the opinions you will get on different atv forums.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts