Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot of the wheel / tire posts and it sounds like when you go bigger, they are a lot heavier, which typically requires a clutch kit. I have a completely stock 2017 Sportsman 850 with the base, stock rims and really like the rims that come on the General 1000. I found out that my stock rear wheel + tire is 34 lbs. A stock General wheel + tire is 46 lbs.

1) Will the wheels from a 2019 General 1000 fit a 2017 Sportsman 850 (bolt pattern and offset wise)? I believe they will but want to confirm

2) Assuming the rear wheels will add 12 lbs each and the fronts ~10 lbs each, is that enough weight where I need to mess with a clutch kit or anything (my Sportsman is totally stock)? Or will I be ok? And even if I am ok with the stock General wheels / rims. Once I need to replace the tires I am guessing some Bear Claws or something are heavier than the stock tires so that might add a couple more

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,428 Posts
Nope you'll be fine!! Now with that said be mindful to use low when things get nasty and knarly! Think belt health, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I added BearClaw HTRs to my 2108 850 and haven't felt the need for a clutch kit. I am on stock wheels though too. I have not done a top speed run to see how much difference they made. I saw 72mph with the stock tires with throttle left, and really don't need to go that fast anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Can anyone confirm wheels taken off a General 1000 will fit my 2017 850 (bolt pattern and offset)

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Bolt pattern is the same. No question about that. The 850 uses a Rzr offset wheel I know. But I am not sure about the General. If anything it will have less backspace and move the wheel/tire out away from the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Bolt pattern is the same. No question about that. The 850 uses a Rzr offset wheel I know. But I am not sure about the General. If anything it will have less backspace and move the wheel/tire out away from the frame. So you will be fine there. Tires might stick out past the fenders though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts