Polaris ATV Forum banner

Is 2WD selectable

8K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  whtrapta 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm in the market for a 1000, not sure if I should go with a Gade or a Scrambler. I had a 800 Gade previously and had no gripes. I would really like to have selectable 2WD but I can't find anywhere if it's available on the Scramble.

#3 ·
Thanks man that helps, well doesn't help with my decision :) but puts the Scrambler back on the list. Yeah I wasn't to big of a fan of the visco lock. So the AWD on the Scrambler is better? Any delay in it's engagement? Do you know if it will lock all 4 wheels?

#4 ·
Polaris AWD is by far the best. You wont be able to notice slip before it engages. And the diff lock is automatic and locks much faster and stronger than the visco system.

#6 ·
Thanks guys!
I"m now approved for financing and ready to pull the trigger on one of them. Getting a better price on the Renegade (Xxc) by about $700 so it's making the decision difficult. I haven't found any deals on the Scrambler or any dealers around that have one.

#7 ·
One thing I didn't like about the Rene is they're so wide. It's like sitting astride a barrel. Both great machines tho.

If the function of the 4wd is a big factor for you then definitely get the Scrammy. There's video on you tube of how the visco lock Rene will take too long to engage then kick the machine sideways when only one front wheel grabs making it very difficult or even tipping the atv over cuz it went sideways and fell over a slope.

There's another vid somewhere on YT where the viscolock keeps screwing around and then grabs one front wheel kicking the atv sideways and rolling over on the rider as it falls over a small drop.

Does Polaris have any rebates on the Scrammy right now ? Check their website.

#8 ·
Problem is the Rene has been around a while, where the Newly released Scrammy 1000, is in such a dmeand that they dont need to offer a rebate to sell them yet. if you can hold out a couple months you may have better luck. im sure a dealer wont try and price match, unless your comparing both 1000cc Models

the XP chassis is absolutely amazing, and i think you will like it better than the Rene, but then again, everyone is different. you ned to find what you like and run with it. its your money and no one elses!

#9 · (Edited)
I got 500 bucks off and a lock and ride bag thrown in on my new Scrammy 1000...I think you should get the rene....then get smoked by a scrambler and I'll buy your rene on the cheap for my son:fest06:

#10 ·
^^^lol^^^

I test rode a Outlander 1000 xt-p and the Scrambler 1000...and needless to say the scrambler is in my avatar now. And I think they could easily swing $500 off, most dealers wont let you walk away over $500.

#13 ·
thanks fly...kids quad price just went UP!!! LOL

Just messing 93...tell us what you think and good luck with whatever you get

#15 ·
my 14 570 has a much faster acting front. Almost no slip even on ice from a stop. put the back tires on ice and front on a rock/log/hill and it spins maybe 1/10 rotation. If its still icy today I'll make a quick video.

#16 ·
Yeah I think the new visco lock has a quick engagement. But you have to pay extra or get the XT and up models to get it.

Pretty sad a $6000 Polaris 400ho has a better 4wd system than a $15000 outlander 1000xtp (canadian prices)

#21 ·
Heres my video of the faster acting AWD.
First is in 2wd to show it is slick.
Then in AWD.

#40 ·
Heres my video of the faster acting AWD.
First is in 2wd to show it is slick.
Then in AWD.
GOPR0177 - YouTube

Do you have a lift? If not, what size tires?

Looks like it sits higher than most tourings. Look a lot better than the stock tourings I see at dealers.

#22 · (Edited)
You guys have me sold on the 4x4 locking system but I can't get over the looks :chairfall: Went to buy one tonight but didn't really like it. I can get a Renegade 1000 with 3 year warranty for same price and love the way it looks (I know looks are so secondary to performance but still I'm so on the fence between the 2 quads). I know the Visco lock sucks on the gade which is stopping me from buying one. I'm confused, lol. Also worried about Scrambler being the first year of the 1000 and that its a bored 850. Renegade is many years into production.

Also, I keep reading that the Scrambler is faster but I would think the Renegade being so much lighter that it would be faster??
I need to make a decision tomorrow, eye ya yyiy. :bam:

#24 · (Edited)
Ditto what Swamp says. Can Am guys have for years weighed their Renes. They're over 800 lbs near dry. Outtys even more.

Just some more info for you. One guy was able to weigh his Rene at work with a digital scale under each wheel. The weight distribution was almost exactly equal, off by a mere pound or less.

You'll have to make up your own mind. If your heart's with a Rene then go Gade ! Depending on where you ride, the 4wd issue may not matter as much.

Rapta,,,, that's pretty cool. the rear wheel definitely rotates less than " 1/5 " of a turn. It's easy to see.

#25 ·
Favorite view for the Rene guys:shocked1:
seriously I like the looks of the rene and I was on the fence also, but after buying the Scrammy i'm definitely happy and the response I got from my riding buddies was that they all loved it and now want one
Don't be that guy..lol
Either way I'm sure you would be happy. Don't think you'll go wrong with either bike

Attachments

#26 ·
Yea, that is locking up quick whtrapta...I guess the dealer doesn't always BS people.

And the issue for the weight, it's true, all of these "sport" utes are pigs. But I will say with the fox shocks and the power to get the back end out, they sure don't feel like they weight 800lbs. The link to the weighing thread is below...I wish someone would do this for the sportsman and scrambler to see how much Polaris lies about their weight (if any).

WEIGHT?? 1000cc outty and renegade TRUE weight - Can-Am ATV Forum

#30 ·
I think they are both ugly. The rene slightly less ugly.

#34 ·
I always thought they locked better than that. There's lots of videos that show 4 wheels ripping up Skeg . Ostacruser's videos are enough make anyone want a CanAm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 ·
Not much weight difference as canam lists weights r dry, not wet. Rene is one bad machine no doubt and the outys I ride with have visco qe and they don't have any issues with engagement. I like Polaris awd best of all the systems though. Ride both and get the one unlike best. They r the top two sport utes out now so u can't do wrong IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.