Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was changing my counterbalance fluid on my 99 xplorer 400. I noticed in the manual there is a crankcase drain. does oil go in there? or just the counterbalance. I assume the dip stick under the air filter box is for the counterbalance.

I noticed there where 2 other drain plugs by the counterbalance drain. I took the larger 1/2 plug (under pull start) out and just a few drops of water came out. Then I took the smaller 9mm plug beside the counterbalance drain and about 5 drops of gas came out. so hopefully nothing should be in them. I don't think the previous owners knew there was engine oil in the 2 stroke.

apparently these are all plugs there are 3 #6 and 1 #45 and 1 #37 lots of plugs and drains for there not to be any oil in there

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
the front crankcase drain is the drain plug for the counterbalancer, you fill it thru the rear dipstick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yes i replaced mine in my 400 xpress and i changed out the counterbalance and the transmission oils. meanwhile the 2 stroke oil is just use and refill :thinkerg:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so the only engine oil is the counterbalance. just making sure that there is no other oil. I just found it odd that there are so many plugs. there is one on the engine by the right front wheel that looks like a fill plug to me. so I will just add the 75cc into the dip stick and shes all lubed up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
counterbalance - some polaris 2 strokes use them to eliminate the vibration at lower rpms.

Back to the drain plugs...
Some of them are there to drain the engine if you ever flood the thing with gas and/or water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts