Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace the valve cover gasket on my 2002 sportsman 700. Looks like I have to pull the front fairing and gas tank to get to it. Wondering if this is a common problem with these? Also are there any secrets to make this job easier? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
From what i have read it is. Its a plastic cover that will warp and leak. Although i have not replaced mine i do have this and will replace it soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn, I hope for now a new gasket will stop my leak. I was assuming the valve cover was metal. Guess I should never assume anything. With the heat that is in the area on top of the head, I wonder why they used plastic?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Try a gasket first. Mine had been leaking since I got it used years ago. Just overhauled the engine last winter and doesn’t seem to leak anymore and I didn’t replace the cover. Yes the 700’s are known to leak and I believe I did see an aluminum cover for sale when I was shopping for parts but I decided to just try new gasket at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I might try and attack that job this afternoon. I bought the gasket a few weeks ago just haven't wanted to deal with the hassle to change it. Can it be done without removing the gas tank and all the parts to get to the tank?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 04, and on mine the valve cover was warped, it’s updated to an aluminum one now. I pulled the tank to do mine, but I did the fuel pump at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts