Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago with winter looming, I decided an ATV w/plow seemed like a snow moving plan. New was out of the question, so I scoured craigslist & used dealer stocks. Untrusting of private sellers. It came down to 2 dealers, both with 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI’s, similar mileage, run time. The nicer machine was an LE, windshield, heated grips, rear box, fancy wheels. But the salesman wouldn’t give me the time of day. So I go to the other dealer with a personality and make a deal for plain green, steel wheel, ripped seat cover 500. New winch, plow, tires. I start it up to load on my trailer, clunk into gear, it starts rolling with no throttle, I hold brake & jam shifter around, doesn’t move into gears so easy. Dealer assures me that‘s normal for Polaris’s. It’s better than Honda’s system of separate lever for reverse, right. What do I know, I’m a complete noir at ATV’s. I’m happy ‘till I’m crawling under & over inspecting my 1st ever ATV. Came from a reputable dealer, they go through their trade-ins, right? The bolt, washer & bushing is missing on the right rear. I call the dealer. How do you miss that when your mounting new tires?
He had the parts so I went and got them. No charge for parts, but bought as is, no warranty past the driveway. I had already rode it around and the A-arm didn’t break off. Put bushing, washer, bolt in. Tough winter, heavy wet snow. ATV doesn’t move snow as well as hoped. Took off plow for season, putt around the yard. Thought my teenagers would be more interested in riding it. Nope. I live in the country. I have neighbors that drive into town on the roads, its legal. But I’ve seen how fast knobby tires wear on pavement so I avoid it. It’s 20 miles and more to get to trails. It’s an activity I just don’t have time for. I put 37 miles on it just plowing snow. I could’ve bought the biggest Ariens snowblower and got snow moving done better. So I’m negotiating with a Craigslister for his old F250 4WD. Put a plow on it and have a dedicated wood hauler for firewood. He knows his stuff. He shows me a torn CV boot, the clutch needs rebuilding, the new tires the dealer put on were oversize and wore through the tie rod ends, but hadn’t started digging into the tires yet. Too much for him to fix, no deal. So I fix things. That new bolt and bushing were loose, which wore a hole in the CV boot. The bolt was missing in the first place because the threads were stripped and the hole was so messed up an EZ-lock wouldn’t work. Ordered a bearing hub off flea-Bay. Doesn’t have the mounting tabs for the rear disc so I’ll have to swap the left side hub to the right. Cleaned out the clutch, scuffed the surface and put on a new belt. Shifts better but still moves at idle. Probably need that EPI clutch rebuild. New HD springs up front for extra weight of the plow & winch. We’ll see how it performs this coming snow season. I really want it to perform. I’m done venting now.

·
Premium Member
7,483 Posts
Sounds like you got a machine that needed a good bit of work before it should have been sold!!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Maybe you should have looked at private sellers also. Having zero warranty from a dealership can’t be any better. I think you just gotta feel out the situation. To me a professional salesperson is more adept at pawning off a piece crap than a private seller.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I would highly suggest to anyone that has never owned a ATV to get with a previous owner of a ATV such as a family member,good friend,or make a good friend to help them check out said machine of their choice before they buy. I have only bought one brand new ATV, and that was back in year 2000.

I am by no means a expert at all on inspecting ATV's, but have had several different manufactures of ATV's over the years that I've owned. I've got a good general idea of what to look for. Some things you really can't see at first like a bad fuel pump going out on you, been there lately, lol. That's just part of it though. I found a real nice 05 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin for my BIL last summer on craigslist and it was not far from his home, about 20 miles.

I called the BIL and told him about it and he said would you go with me to look it over because I know nothing about ATV's. I said yes I'll go, but I've never owned a Polaris before but they are all basically close to the same. He didn't even ride it to try it out, and he wanted me to test it out which I did. He ask what I thought and I told him everything seemed to be working fine and the ATV felt good and tight to me. I told him if I didn't already have just bought my Arctic Cat 650 I'd buy this 700 for myself if that tells you anything. He made the deal with the guy and we took it home on my trailer.

Only bad thing about BIL is he is not a maintenance guy, and just here recently he had found out the hard way on getting his title transferred on that PS 700. I told him to be sure and get his title transferred into his name because they only give you 20 day's to do that and the cost was around $30 bucks. Well he just recently broke down and went to have the title transferred into his name and it cost him $278 bucks total in late fee penalty.

I also had to help him do all the maintenance service on the ATV.

Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts