Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFTER MANY HOURS OF WORK fixing this thing(radiator, fan, electrical redone, leaking tubes, FWD testing) I finally took it to the dealer to take care of the FRONT WHEEL DRIVE...

So it turns out both front wheel drive bearings, hubs, etc... need to be redone along with a new sprocket and chain. The total if I go through with all this, it is around $1500 THEN I need to get new tires($330)... OR I could sell it as is and make a $300 to $400 profit.

Kinda hard as I have put quite a few hours into it and grew up with it... to just see it go as basically a parts atv sucks... :eek5:

BUT, this thing is getting old and I dont know if I want to take the chance that there will be another $1500 repair in a couple years... My dad abused the hell out of this thing using it as a tractor(cultivate, disc, drag, grating, spraying, snowplow) and it is coming back to bite! He had the drive shaft and a few other things replaced in 2008 after discing and dragging at the same time.

SO I need opinions on what I should do...

It will be used for hauling the occasional deer, snow plowing 4-6 times a year and a 15mi atv trail/route between 2 cabins probably 10-15 times per year...

with this said do you think it is worth my money???

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If you trust your dealer, Have him give you an honest assessment of the overall condition after those repairs ( if u were to make them). Its always tough to decide when to stop putting money into something, especially when its been around for so long.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If you've already done much of the repairs..... why don't you tackle the rest of the repairs also? You'd only have about $500-600 into it than. Than sell it and make back you labor profit?!

I personally don't think I'd put $1850+ into parts/labor/tires on a 1995 machine..... at that price for another $700-1200 (Total = $2500-3000), you could upgrade to a 500-700cc, 2004-6 model year machine in working order. :dunno:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a 95 magnum 425 parts machine. the front end seems solid. if your interested in going with used parts and changing them out.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I think you got almost 20 year of good solid service out of it and maybe it's time to let it go. Or I would check with AROB on used stuff and maybe get a few more years out of it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a 95 magnum 425 parts machine. the front end seems solid. if your interested in going with used parts and changing them out.
I recently bought the secondary clutch off his Magnum. It was in great shape and he was very easy to work with as far as communication, pricing, payment, and shipping.
I wouldn't hesitate to work out a deal with him if that is the route you decide to go.
JJ

·
Registered
10 Posts
AROB do you still have the 425 parts atv? I am looking for a recoil starter or some of the inner parts for my 425 magnum 2x4.

·
Registered
279 Posts
425 parts

I do have a lot on parts yet on the 425. Not sure I still have the recoil yet but I may have one that would work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you don't mind, let me know what you have when you get a chance to look. I mainly need the reel and return spring for the finger, but I would consider buying the complete assembly if the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The one I have will fit. Its either for a 2000 polaris 335 or 95 polaris 425. Recoil complete is 100.00. Only because I don't mind keeping an extra one around. A lot of the other parts I will be more reasonable on.

·
Registered
526 Posts
$1500 will get you a newer Magnum and the $300-$400 profit you can get if you sell now could go a long way it replacing and fixing what may need attention at this time.

If you can get some good used parts priced right that could be an option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The one I have will fit. Its either for a 2000 polaris 335 or 95 polaris 425. Recoil complete is 100.00. Only because I don't mind keeping an extra one around. A lot of the other parts I will be more reasonable on.
Thank you for pricing. I think I will try to get just the parts I need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have a lot on parts yet on the 425. Not sure I still have the recoil yet but I may have one that would work.
Do you have the thermo switch on that parts machine??? Still looking for one!

·
Registered
279 Posts
thermo switch

yes I have the thermo switch mounted on the cylinder. unknown condition. 25.00 shipped as is
thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts