Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 sportsman 500 and when I went to turn it on today it was totally dead even when I turned the key the screen didn't even come up. I live in michigan and it's been very cold lately. Could the battery have frozen? Would this happen if the battery is frozen. I looked at the battery and i could see one side of the liquids moving when I leaned it but the other sides looked like they were frozen. I drove it like three weeks ago and it was fine.
Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Got the same thing going on with my wife's.... The cold weather "zaps" the battery. I'd bet if you charge it up you may be okay. If not.... your assumptions are correct and a new battery is in order. A good idea may be to install a battery tender / maintainer, if you don't pull your battery out and store it indoors over the winter.

I on the other hand had a tender on mine.... but I see varied cell levels on the side of the battery. Wondering if I have a "shorted" cell. I plan to pull it tonight, top off each cell with distilled water adn charge it. While charging, I'm going to make sure I had the tender hooked to the propper terminals.... :dunno: If that doesn't fix it, I'ii install a new battery come spring! No need zapping another before winter is over!! :fing02:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot just glad it looks like it's not a bigger problem. My terminals look extremely low as well. I don't know about batteries so would filling it with distilled water fix that?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same issue with my battery; it's been a cold winter here in NH and my battery is toast. I think it's time for a new one and battery tender. The thing I was wondering is, do they make a sealed battery instead of basic battery for atv's? When I switched over from a reg battery to a sealed battery in my motorcycle it lasted a lot longer and I used a battery tender as well. Time to shop around on the web!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks a lot just glad it looks like it's not a bigger problem. My terminals look extremely low as well. I don't know about batteries so would filling it with distilled water fix that?
It's worth a try in my book.... used distilled water, fill to the recommended line and charge it back up. You'll know if it solves your problem or not!! As I'll try a "free" fill and charge vs. buying a new sealed (aka - maintenance free) battery for $70-100!!

I had the same issue with my battery; it's been a cold winter here in NH and my battery is toast. I think it's time for a new one and battery tender. The thing I was wondering is, do they make a sealed battery instead of basic battery for atv's? When I switched over from a reg battery to a sealed battery in my motorcycle it lasted a lot longer and I used a battery tender as well. Time to shop around on the web!
Yes, and I personally recommend a sealed battery and a tender/maintainer..... from my experiance, which is the same as yours it sounds. The sealed lasted almost twice as long, if not longer, then a non-sealed basic battery!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Great! Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the site.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes get a good maintainer....both my machines sit covered outside on maintainers....and have started in-15 weather ..my suzuki has a 3 year old battery an has been on a maintainer and always starts..both used to plow with aLso....a maintainer is very important....CTEK and NOCO are good ones....I have a CTEK on one and have a Schumacher SP2 1 Amp Battery maintainer on the other...The SP2 does a nice job for the price......

·
Registered
109 Posts
Battery mart is where I bought my AGM battery for my 2008 sportsman. Pulled the original AGM last year and put in my lawn tractor. Still going strong. They both are on a "Genius" maintainer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes the NOCO Genius is a good maintainer....My CTEK does de sulfate so I want the Genius model that does it also....winter is when batteries would sulfate most...with the cold and plowing then put away

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
No Maintainer can get rid of Sulfate,you have to overcharge the batterie.
But this is not possible with 1 Amp.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Pulled my battery last night..... put it on a 2 amp charge over night and checked it with the volt meter this morning. Was only reading 11.8x volts, and while I kept the tester on it it kept dropping 0.01 volts every 2-3 seconds....... I think mine is "Toast"! :D But it's okay.... the date stamped on the top was 10 07 29, so I'm guessing it was put into service 07/29/2010...... so it served the machine well and it was time to give up the ghost. Never had a small battery go much over 2-3 years, so I'll consider it lucky. It was a "basic" ("just add water") Interstate brand battery.

But since the machine just sits this time of year.... I think I'll wait another month or two to buy another, so it just doesn't sit in the garage and get stressed by the cold temps for that time period.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts