Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So say 3 weeks ago, I tore my CV boot(smaller then a dime), but replaced it with a universal boot from Royal Distributing before shtf as I've done that once before.
I've been riding for the past 3 weeks with no problems, but after a 80km road ride, with some water at the end of it, I noticed my boot slipped off and there was no grease in the boot. Not sure as to how long it's been off, but couldn't see any mud as I was in the lake a little bit.

Providing there isn't any clicking, or visible damage, would it be okay to clean it out, refill with grease, and reclamp ? The clamp they provided was the shits, so I'll be looking for something a bit better.

Sorry if I rambled, thanks in advance,

One

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yea sure, thats exactly what I did. Took it apart at the joint, polished the cage, race, balls, and housing, then I put my new boot and grease on...no more clicks!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
You have nothing to loose by trying, IF a hose clamp will clear everything you can get away with 2 of those.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You have nothing to loose by trying, IF a hose clamp will clear everything you can get away with 2 of those.
Yea thats a good point, because some of the clamps are reusable, but requires a special tool. I caught all kinds trouble getting the old ones off. Luckily my new boot came with some. I still had to use the tool kit pliers and channel locks to get the new ones on they were really tight. I didn't know what to expect but at the end it turned out to be a pretty easy job. Fyi I used a 3 jaw gear puller to pull the joint off the axle instead of taking the axle off.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Oh...like this cause the oem clamps slide off the boots on not only a front but also a rear axle?

It bought some time but both still needed replaced. Doesnt take much to damage either ball or race surfaces so i wasnt wasteing my time pulling it apart to band aid a problem...just sealed boot ends until they begin to die and replace with all new non marred internal.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Well I mentioned the hose clamps as most people don't have the strap specific tools for boot straps.
The single use, fold over type holds very tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts