Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 2016 Sportsman 570 2up, got it near the beginning of December 2015 specifically to push snow around my property. I'm in Michigan and my crummy snowblower wasn't cutting it.

I've used ATVs in the past growing up, but this is my first time owning one. I got the snow plow / winch package as part of it and it's been working great. I've had to use it probably 5 times over the last couple weeks, twice this week.

Every once in awhile it'll stall out on me, which I pegged as being due to a low idle of something. It always starts right back up for me and most of my driving has been lower the blade, go forward, stop, raise the blade, throw it in reverse, repeat. I don't have lots of extended high rev driving.

So the last morning I was plowing it stalled on me again, but this time turning the key it wouldn't turn over, and on the dash output it said something like "lo 10.6", and the decimal number would change slightly if I tried it again, it looked like it was going down. So I started freaking out, let it sit for a minute, then tried again and it started up. I was able to finish and then go park it but it had me worried.

I didn't see anything specific in the owners manual, but I did see mention of an extreme use battery and a mention of the amps being 12.4 or something and that was around the ballpark of the number I was seeing on the dash.

So for a complete newb, what should I know to operate this in the winter with a blade? I came across some forum posts implying winches in general kill the battery, and I'm wondering between that and the cold weather am I just waiting for a problem to occur? The dealer didn't say anything when I originally went in saying I wanted an ATV for plowing, but as far as I know the battery is probably whatever the standard stock one is. Should I be looking for some sort of heavier duty battery replacement? Or I saw something about wiring up a separate battery for the winch? Or do I need something to boost recharging it if I'm only driving it for a half hour at a time every few days while plowing?

Thanks for any advice or direction on where else I should look!

·
Registered
147 Posts
yep plowing kills batteries...

I have this battery,Motobatt MBTX14AU replacement Motorcycle Battery (12V 14Ah)

It cost me $40 delivered and works 100% better than my oem did.
so far I have not had to put it on a tender at all. I have been testing it to see what it can handle. This batt has the mounts on backwards but it works and fits perfect. Its a sealed agm style batt with alot more cranking amps.

As others have done,run a battery tender every time you park it, replace headlights and tail lights with led, plow in low gear(gets rpms up)

I have run my lights,started it many times and plowed the driveway a few times all while never going anywhere other than my driveway. It still fires up perfectly.. IMO give it a try ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep plowing kills batteries...

I have this battery,Motobatt MBTX14AU replacement Motorcycle Battery (12V 14Ah)

It cost me $40 delivered and works 100% better than my oem did.
so far I have not had to put it on a tender at all. I have been testing it to see what it can handle. This batt has the mounts on backwards but it works and fits perfect. Its a sealed agm style batt with alot more cranking amps.

As others have done,run a battery tender every time you park it, replace headlights and tail lights with led, plow in low gear(gets rpms up)

I have run my lights,started it many times and plowed the driveway a few times all while never going anywhere other than my driveway. It still fires up perfectly.. IMO give it a try ...
Thanks! That sounds exactly like my scenario. I already only plow in low gear but I'll definitely look into replacing the lamps with leds and the battery, too. Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hmmm, battery. Good to know. My 570 stalled a couple times while plowing, but started right back up. I changed tactics and I would come to a complete stop before raising/lowering plow. That seemed to help. I only needed to plow twice, and history is in favor that I will not need to plow again until next season. And yes, plowing is only done in Low gear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with what others have said. I had some issues on my '14 570 (back in January of '14), but after throwing it on a battery conditioner between plowing, I never had another problem. Still running on the original battery and it always starts right up and never stalls. Just finished my third winter of plowing. The previous 2 had a lot of snow.

The biggest issue with plowing is the low RPMs which really drains the battery. I agree that you should plow in low gear to keep the RPMs up.

·
GAS IT!
392 Posts
These guys are right. A Battery Tender JR or even the cheapo from Harbor Freight will work. But it's more fun to ride it. :)

I lot of people go through batteries plowing when they don't ride their quad throughout the winter. Winching uses a lot of juice. Then you park it. It snows again. You plow again. Park it....and so on. Then your battery is toast.

Those of us who ride all winter don't have that problem. Those who don't or can't...the charger solution above is great. I put chargers on my riding mowers in the winter too.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
$20 from Menards. Stanley 1.5 amp battery maintainer. Can plug into 12volt accessory, hard wire to terminals, or has clamps. I have 3 of them running in my garage right now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My '14 570 has 270hrs on it and I use it year round including plowing in the winter and have had zero problems with the battery. I always keep a tender on mine when not in use, do this and chances are you will have no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! Looks like my plowing season might be over so I'll be riding more, and will keep these tips in mind for next year. I definitely think I'll be replacing the battery with a better one anyway and will probably set things up with a tender, too.

Thanks again for the great help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts