Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
For longer trips, you bet the belt is going to be somewhere with me and some more tools.

That one was total stupidity, and lazy, I knew the belt needed changing and I went out anyway.

Also I won't take anymore real long rides without others, no matter if I do have a 50 watt radio mounted up, took a good part of the day to hike out, and no Beer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi everyone,

I love the site and I know some of you work on your own ATV's. I myself am not that mechanically inclined. I bought a 2010 XP850 EPS and am coming up on 20 hours. The dealer told me that I should bring it back to them for the first service at 20 hours. They change all the fluids - engine oil, diff oil front and back, brake fluid etc...and check the machine out thoroughly and adjust anything that needs to be done. They say that it takes about 2.5 hours @ $75 hr and then supplies = approx. $300. Is it really important to do the first service? Also, if i dont do it - does it void my Polaris warranty? Thanks for any advice.
So I finally got the correct filter and wrench. 20 hour oil change is now complete. Actually I did it at 15 hours but let's not quibble.
Oil was pretty black but smelled fine. Total cost including the new oil filter wrench was around $30.($40 if you count the beer) So $300 is a little on the high side IMO.
im sure you have figured this out but the oil filter size has changed in the 550's the smaller on is correct.... and mjscharlotte they are trying to bend you over change the oil and filter yourself and find a new dealer...wow what a bunch of pricks

·
Registered
497 Posts
I bought my 04 700 in 06 and had a trip that week end. This was my first Polaris and I wanted to take my time figuring things out. I didn't have that time so I took it to the dealer for a "looking over" and service. They charged me $389 to change the fluids. I about $#@! myself. When I grumbled the guy at the counter told me I should have bought a Honda. (they have the Honda dealership to) The next spring I changed the oil and checked the fluids in the transmission and front and rear. They were all low and filthy. I question now whether they even changed them that first time. I only had about 40 hours on it when I checked them.
Now I have had some good dealings with this dealer. This last summer I was in buying front Hillard oil and I decide to check the price of a new speedo because mine quit. The head mechanic happened to be out at the counter and he sent me home with a spare speedo they used for testing. I only ended up having to buy the sensor at the wheel. Ever since I always ask for him and he is very generous with his knowledge and tools. They are still very expensive ($100 hr) and I still question there overall loyalty to Polaris Brand but I don't really have a choice. 4 hour trip to the next closest dealer doesn't fit my schedule well.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts