Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a little while as I am planning to buy a Polaris 4 wheeler soon. I am looking at a 2013 850 Touring for sale to start what will end up with me buying two bikes.

I spoke briefly to the owner on the phone and based on that initial call have a couple questions. It was a bit of an odd situation. The bike was a factory demo where they compare different brands of wheelers against their own brand but the other brands are driven only by the sales people at slow speed not the customers. The customers only get to drive the factory's own brand.

First, he mentioned that the plastic isn't painted but is just standad plastics. I thought 850's were always painted plastic...am I mistaken?
Next, is the 850 a Sportsman and an XP? I thought they are different animals?
Next, it seems it was rolled over or at least landed upside down at a slow speed by one of the sales people or so I understand.
The light pod is pretty scratched up but that is all I can see given the pictures are not good. Assuming it was actually rolled at a slow speed, what do you suggest I should be concerned with unseen damage wise?
The machine has low miles and low hours but looks to have a good amount of light scratches near as I could tell given it was really dirty.

Has the 2014 model year of this changed from the 2013 model?
Also is EPS standard...I don's see an eps decal?

I can deal with some scratches but don't know what else might have gotten damaged.

Thanks all

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Depending on price, I would pass. Most of those demo bikes have been beaten on my staff and never really broken in.

The 2014's had a few changes. You can read about them on the Polaris website. Mostly colors changed again. The LE model now comes with Fox shocks.

Only the LE models have painted plastics. The normal models just have the colored plastics.

The "sportsman XP" is the 550, and 850 machines. They are considered "premium" machines. The sportsman 400/570/800 are Sportsmans also but they are the "value line"

In 2013 you could get an Eps, and non eps version. So if this machine has steel rims, analog gauges, then it is NOT an eps machine. In 2014 ALL the XP models have eps.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, if they were too lazy to even hose it off and clean it up I'd be a little concerned.
If it's scuffed up maybe replace that plastic bezel? $50 bucks and 10 minutes work?

I just bought a 2013 single seater and there is an EPS sticker on top of the headlamp assembly so if it doesn't have it...it prolly don't have it.

The 2013s have $1000 incentive from polaris and the 2014s have $300 off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh, and the XP and HO and all of that?

To the best of my knowledge they is no low-output 800/850 or non-HO or non-XP.

There is no 850 "light" so just ignore the marketing hype.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The ho is the 2012+ 850's. They have 7hp more than the non ho 850's.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depending on price, I would pass. Most of those demo bikes have been beaten on my staff and never really broken in.

In 2013 you could get an Eps, and non eps version. So if this machine has steel rims, analog gauges, then it is NOT an eps machine. In 2014 ALL the XP models have eps.
Ok good points everyone. So it does have the upgraded rims and a half analog/half digital gauge package. I seem to recall there was a change over year when they went half analog and half digital instead of full digital. There are few local xp tourings around. I checked out EBAY but the shipping makes it not work financially. I've bought several of my cars on ebay but the numbers work much better with cars. As much as I want a standard single seater, It just won't work for taking two people on longer trail rides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts