Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm returning to a Sportsman after 6yrs w a Grizzly 700. I wanted a 1000, test drove it at the dealer, and it really is insane. To a point where I just ordered an 850 instead - I'm a pretty experienced rider and know how to handle a machine. Most of my riding is in WV.

It's not that I can't handle the power, just thinking ab those slippery situations we get in, when you might accidentally blip the throttle and turn this 1000 upside down.

What do you guys think? Anyone regret getting the 1000 over an 850?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Anyone regret getting the 1000 over an 850?
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Never ask a American man this question.
You will never get a honest answer back.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't think you will find any regret, but the 850 is a bargain compared to the 1000. I would love a 1000, but I can't see it being worth the extra money. Even my buddy's 570 is more than plenty for 95% of the riding we do. 850 is a sweet spot to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not about the cash, more about the safety factor. I mean, is it 'dangerous' or is the throttle tamed and set do you don't do wheelies when you're simply trying to get out of a rut.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ATV's are inherently unstable to start with.
riding at 80 mph on 4 tires with 5 lbs of air in them, hell I won't even take mine over 50 mph.
honestly what the hell does anybody need with anything bigger than a 500 ??

·
Registered
244 Posts
When I went to buy my son's ATV, I just happened to ask about an Arctic Cat 1000 they had on their site for $8500. The sales guy said he had tried one and he was constantly looking at the sky. He said you can't keep the front end down on them.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
ATV's are inherently unstable to start with.
riding at 80 mph on 4 tires with 5 lbs of air in them, hell I won't even take mine over 50 mph.
honestly what the hell does anybody need with anything bigger than a 500 ??
After having my 400HO for 4 years I am getting the bug for more. Only the individual consumer has the right to make that choice, a freedom we all have, up to 1,000 cc anyway.

Upgrading the OEM rubber is the best upgrade one can make, the OEM tires are crap.

Torque is where it's at, to get more of that you need more CC's.

·
Administrator
898 Posts
Yes it's powerful. But one day when you are asking the question is my 2020 Polaris 1500 cc dual turbo powerful enough we can all look back at this and laugh. But joking aside it is a monster and handles very well for the amount of power that is there. You will run out of traction way before you run out of power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes it's powerful. But one day when you are asking the question is my 2020 Polaris 1500 cc dual turbo powerful enough we can all look back at this and laugh. But joking aside it is a monster and handles very well for the amount of power that is there. You will run out of traction way before you run out of power.
The 1,000s are great when you are in the high county because you loss 3% per 1000 feet . So at 5,000 feet you loss 15% of your power.:rambo:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine with the 850. When you get old like me, and utility is mostly what you're looking for, even the 850 will be a bit much. 570 is fine for me, and can actually still feel scary fast when the throttle is dumped, though trail riding is nearly never for me. Guess that comes with age-my old thrilling MX days are over, many years ago.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The 1k isn't that much more powerful than the 850 despite what people say....

So if you can "handle" the 850, you can handle the 1k

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What in the sam hell kind of question is this?
If you're being serious, I apologize, but your asking if 0-850cc's is less dangerous than 850-1000cc's...
I mean throw some logic in this and you have your answer.
Experience experience experience.
Age has nothing to do with it, gender has nothing to do with it, body type has nothing to do with it, it's experience. If experience allows you to ride the machine with confidence and poise, then you have more experience than someone who feels unsafe on the machine.
I was riding KX500 2 stroke dirtbikes when I was 14 years old at 145lbs, but I have been riding since 5 years old.

The question I think people should ask themselves when looking at a big bore is this: Am I good enough to justify spending the extra money, can I ride the extra $2000 grand out of this bike? Do I have the skill set to push this bike to its limits? If I ride the 850 and then the 1000, will I be any faster in the 1000?
If you answer these questions within yourself honestly and say no to them, then stick to the 850.
The people who know they're capable of riding this machine to its fullest potential go out and buy them. The people who shouldn't go out and buy them are the people asking whether or not they think others, who don't even know them, think they can handle the extra hp of the big bore. If you're asking odds are you aren't comfy with your level of riding which tells me you shouldn't be riding a big bore.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
570 is fine for me, and can actually still feel scary fast when the throttle is dumped
LOLOLOLOL, boy, I sure as hell don't get any of that sensation on the wife's 570.
I will never use the 570 and 850 in the same sentence describing the power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're being serious, I apologize, but your asking if 0-850cc's is less dangerous than 850-1000cc's...
Age has nothing to do with it, gender has nothing to do with it, body type has nothing to do with it, it's experience. If experience allows you to ride the machine with confidence and poise, then you have more experience than someone who feels unsafe on the machine.
I was riding KX500 2 stroke dirtbikes when I was 14 years old at 145lbs, but I have been riding since 5 years old.

The question I think people should ask themselves when looking at a big bore is this: Am I good enough to justify spending the extra money, can I ride the extra $2000 grand out of this bike? Do I have the skill set to push this bike to its limits? If I ride the 850 and then the 1000, will I be any faster in the 1000?
If you answer these questions within yourself honestly and say no to them, then stick to the 850.
The people who know they're capable of riding this machine to its fullest potential go out and buy them. The people who shouldn't go out and buy them are the people asking whether or not they think others, who don't even know them, think they can handle the extra hp of the big bore. If you're asking odds are you aren't comfy with your level of riding which tells me you shouldn't be riding a big bore.

Yes and No. It's ok to question moving up to a more powerful machine, there will be a breaking point of "too powerful." I'm simply asking, are we there yet. I take it as a challenge to move up to a 1000, and to learn to work with that power. I read an article on ATV.COM about the 1000 - and how Polaris purposefully mapped the ECU and throttle so the machine doesn't 'scare you' which is the oppositte of what they did with it's brother, the Scrambler 1000.

I like power. My daily driver is a 555HP BMW X6M. My toy is a Ferrari 458 Italia. Neither need more power - so it's not a dumb question.

Porsche recently released the 911R at 500HP - 500 being where they believe the car is the most drivable.

There IS a limit that makes sense, wasn't sure if some riders believed the 850 was it, AND, is a 1000 complete overkill.

I'll keep you guys posted on my choice, tomorrow morning I'm buying! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Yes and No. It's ok to question moving up to a more powerful machine, there will be a breaking point of "too powerful." I'm simply asking, are we there yet. I take it as a challenge to move up to a 1000, and to learn to work with that power. I read an article on ATV.COM about the 1000 - and how Polaris purposefully mapped the ECU and throttle so the machine doesn't 'scare you' which is the oppositte of what they did with it's brother, the Scrambler 1000.

I like power. My daily driver is a 555HP BMW X6M. My toy is a Ferrari 458 Italia. Neither need more power - so it's not a dumb question.

Porsche recently released the 911R at 500HP - 500 being where they believe the car is the most drivable.

There IS a limit that makes sense, wasn't sure if some riders believed the 850 was it, AND, is a 1000 complete overkill.

I'll keep you guys posted on my choice, tomorrow morning I'm buying! Thanks!
I've been racing high horsepower cars for years, and I kind of get what you are saying, but I wasn't asking a question when I stated my previous post. For you to say "yes and no" wasn't me asking if you agree, I was telling you this is the case. You may disagree all you want, experience levels are what allow an individual to ride faster more power quads, dirt bikes, street bikes, cars, etc. to the vehicles limits safely.
There is no question in this.

Even still, you can have all the experience in the world and still have an accident. I am merely stating that experienced riders will pull the additional capabilities out of a 1000 that lesser experienced riders may not, where the 850 may be the best quad for certain people.
Having said that, the mentality of a rider is also key as to what machine to buy. Someone with less experience but the mindset of knowing the throttle goes both ways and how they decide to ride the quad are also key factors.
If you buy a 1000 knowing you're not going to ride it hard and push it is fine but then what is the reason to buy the 1000?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You question is in the eye of the beholder, there is no answer to anyone other than the skill set of the rider riding it.
No one can tell you if the quad is overkill for you other than you. This is what I am trying to tell you.
I personally feel the Scrambler 1000 could and should be more powerful, but that is only because I can ride it to its breaking point where others may not.
I have talked to people who think it is way too fast to be an atv, I disagree.
As it is currently built, the atv is very well balanced and suspension is decently designed from the factory. To make it faster they would have to adjust many things that would go along with the speed to make it rideable just like your comments above with a car.
My last vehicle was a Mercedes C63 with many mods creating around 500hp.
It's a subjective debate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you like to do different things with your ATV the 1,000s is the only way to go . I'm not a mud person but if you want to play in the mud the 1,000s is way better the same in the snow . In the lose sand the 1,000s has the power to stay on top .If you really want to see the difference go to the St Anthony sand dunes and climb choke Cherry.

·
Registered
289 Posts
With the excess wheel spin you may find out you can ride a smaller CC bike faster. If you ride in WV mostly I don't believe you will ever use all that power. Smaller CC bikes are more fun to ride because you can drop the hammer and not see ground/sky etc. I have done a LOT of riding in WV and never have I even come close to needing more power than my 550's have. I have a RZR 1000 also now and I can't even imagine putting that power between my legs. JMO

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
With the excess wheel spin you may find out you can ride a smaller CC bike faster. If you ride in WV mostly I don't believe you will ever use all that power. Smaller CC bikes are more fun to ride because you can drop the hammer and not see ground/sky etc. I have done a LOT of riding in WV and never have I even come close to needing more power than my 550's have. I have a RZR 1000 also now and I can't even imagine putting that power between my legs. JMO
This is the best answer on this thread. If you ride mud or sand or interstates like Markcuda then by all means get a 1000. But if you are riding trails 1000 cc's is just ridiculous. I just got back today from Royal Blue in East Tennessee and saw a 1000cc Can Am Maverick that was Trying to ride some of the steeper trails and when trying to climb a sheer rock face at the crest of the trail gassed it and went over backwards and they brought it down in quite a few baskets, so multiply that by what a 1000cc atv would be capable of and you can see that kind of power on that kind of environment is useless and quite dangerous. The roll cage saved the guy on the Maverick but no cage on any atv....and when you come off of an atv on hills that approach 70 degree angles its definitely a long way to the bottom. My 570 Ace had just climbed the exact trail that he flipped on and I didn't have any trouble and no air time in the least, so its what you do with the machine that justifies needing a 1000cc machine. On trails they are no better than the 500cc class machines, and possibly much more dangerous, and you can only go so fast on trails and mid bore machines can easily attain the max speeds on the trails IMO

1 - 20 of 214 Posts