Polaris ATV Forum banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
All I know is this new 1k puts a smile on my face that my 850 couldn't lol
Ever talk to Randomguywhorides?? I think he loved that 1k Scrammy and he used to race dirtbikes, right??
Oh yeah, that's right he did! You guys doing another forum ride this year?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyone regret getting the 1000 over an 850?
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Never ask a American man this question.
You will never get a honest answer back.
Here's an honest answer from an American man. I own a 2016 Honda Rancher 420 4x4 DCT EPS. I LOVE it. I ride it almost every day, and I've got 2067 miles on it as of 10 minutes ago when I arrived back at work. It has plenty of power for the trails I ride, and hills I climb, up here in the high desert of Northeastern Arizona. Seriously, I'm pushing safety limits when I'm ripping 40-45mph down a forest road.

But I've ridden places where it is impossible to have too much power...or at least it has never happened. Example #1: the Cinder hills at Flagstaff, AZ. Example #2: the sand dunes.

Horsepower is key when you're climbing mountains of sand or cinders. If I had a Sportsman 1000, I would run it up the biggest hills and dunes and be glad for every hp. So it really depends on the type of riding that you are doing, and how much power you LIKE to have. See below:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Going really fast has nothing to do with for me. It has everything to do with having all the power I want and using it when I want. More power = more fun. Everyone says "you don't need that much power". Then I let them ride it and their view changes immediately. With huge grins and yelling OMG!!!!
Im with you, when i went from my kingquad to an outlander 1000 I was in heaven lol! Now i have a HL 1000. Haters always say, that bikes too heavy, it sinks..... haha then i rip thru that motherfucker with a smile! 1000 cc are great, but I can always use more. Especially when I am extremely stuck, and I am sittin there thinking, man, if I had more power I could just blast through here.... My wifes 450 is great, but we know its limits, there are holes that sucker is just not going to make it through.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
nothing like seeing a big mud hole on the trail and saying to yourself watch this mother ****ers , lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
Going really fast has nothing to do with for me. It has everything to do with having all the power I want and using it when I want. More power = more fun. Everyone says "you don't need that much power". Then I let them ride it and their view changes immediately. With huge grins and yelling OMG!!!!
Im with you, when i went from my kingquad to an outlander 1000 I was in heaven lol! Now i have a HL 1000. Haters always say, that bikes too heavy, it sinks..... haha then i rip thru that motherfucker with a smile! 1000 cc are great, but I can always use more. Especially when I am extremely stuck, and I am sittin there thinking, man, if I had more power I could just blast through here.... My wifes 450 is great, but we know its limits, there are holes that sucker is just not going to make it through.
nothing like seeing a big mud hole on the trail and saying to yourself watch this mother ****ers , lol
You two sound like a couple of 16 year olds....:grin. I'd be right there behind you letting my 28x11x14" executioners tear that sh$& up.:devil.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Remove those earning stickers itll look 10x cleaner

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
That picture was from the day I bought it,hadn't even rode it yet. Had the new wheels/tires,exhaust,pinion cover replacement and frame braces before the quad arrived. She's sticker free now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Remove those earning stickers itll look 10x cleaner

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
That picture was from the day I bought it,hadn't even rode it yet. Had the new wheels/tires,exhaust,pinion cover replacement and frame braces before the quad arrived. She's sticker free now.
With no warranty I assume? Wondering if the Cecco Frame Bracers and Pinion Cover void warranty. I bet Polaris would say they do.
I plan to put mine on but might as well wait until the first diff oil change for the Pinion Cover.

Curious what Polaris official stance is on this? I have the Polaris extended warranty and wonder......

·
Registered
259 Posts
But I've ridden places where it is impossible to have too much power...or at least it has never happened. Example #1: the Cinder hills at Flagstaff, AZ. Example #2: the sand dunes.
Example #3 Running snow tracks in the deep and steep stuff! Seriously why is anyone even arguing there's no need for the power in any situation that a 1000 provides? That's just inane, like saying everyone should drive a Kia Rio because nobody needs the size or functionality of a diesel pickup.

·
Registered
734 Posts
After having an 850 on really rough steep rock trails and "blipping" the throttle without any intention of doing so, I came to a similar conclusion several years back. I nearly flipped it over backwards more than once. The right terrain can do it to you in a heartbeat. Sold the bike and waited for the new generation that had multiple modes so I could "turn it down" in the really rough, steep stuff.

However, by the time I got back in a place to buy 1 life had changed. I decided to go with a touring xp1000 because the longer wheelbase made it much harder to wheelie. It also gave me a better ride and the option to have a passenger. At the same time I decided the rough steep stuff wasn't all that fun anymore. Age changes things.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
For a power hungry speed junkie as myself, the 1000 does the trick but it's still not fast enough. I just ordered a QSC clutch kit and I'll have Ryan at RVS Performance re-map the ECU here soon. If they came out with a 1200cc next week, I'd be upgrading.

There is a difference between the 850 and the 1000. It's not huge, but the 1000 seems to spool up faster with more grunt in the ass.

We push our machines fast and hard through the trails, often hitting 70-75mph or faster if permitting. The 1000 could use a little help Lol..
If you're hitting 70-75 mph you aint riding trails Youre riding roads or fields or dirt roads but you aint riding that fast on any trail that could be called a trail

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
no two riding areas are the same, up here we have a mix of everything, wooded tight trails with decent mud sections , some rocky hill climbs that will eventually loosen stuff on your bike, but we also have 100's of miles of abandoned railway systems connected to abandoned sandy logging roads with long stretches where u get go full out, if your not scared !
What you just described are not trails

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
What you just described are not trails
i don't know why u quoted my post from almost 3 year ago but thats ok, lol
call it what you want, it is what it is, every state, province , country has its off road territory and trail systems are mapped out and available for people to go from point A to point B following a trail map.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm one of those type people that lives by this: It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I have a 2015 xp 1000 and love it. My machine has taken me to tight, backwoods trails, up inclines, blasted through snow, towed my dragster, plowed snow, towed cars, blasted around my yard, and just about everything else. I test rode a 500, 850, and this....No way would I have gotten a lower powered machine. Think of it this way, how hard do you have to work to move something that's got you about completely maxed out? What does it do to you? Now, same thing, except move something well within your capabilities....How long can you hold up then? More power isn't always the answer, but properly managed, you can do a lot more with a more powerful machine than you can one that isn't... As to the safety of it? I honestly believe that the safety aspect is the rider, not the machine. It will only do what you tell it to. Learn to handle it, know what it can do, and KNOW WHAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF HANDLING, and you'll be fine. Try to show off and don't respect the machine, and it will win....every time.....

201 - 214 of 214 Posts