Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to find out if a tire or wheel is bad .I get a shake at 40-50mph and its not the front end. I'd hate to buy new tires if its a dented wheel or something

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
I would take the fronts to a shop that can put them on a spin balancer. It can tell you if the rim is out of round and/or the tire is badly out of balance. Bent wheel can cause the shake.....

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take the fronts to a shop that can put them on a spin balancer. It can tell you if the rim is out of round and/or the tire is badly out of balance. Bent wheel can cause the shake.....
Thats funny,,,i was just replying to your thread
Yeah Im thinking I have a dented wheel:eek thanks

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
You should be able to check the wheel run out while the wheels are on the machine I think. Jack up the front. If you can spin the front wheels, set up a fixed pointer against the outside of the wheel then rotate the tire. If the wheel is bent you should see the edge of the wheel move against the fixed point.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Remember.... these tire and wheel set ups aren't usually balanced. And may need a product like balance beads (or wheel weights) to get there. But as mentioned, check the wheel first to make sure it's true.... before going through the effort of balancing!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should be able to check the wheel run out while the wheels are on the machine I think. Jack up the front. If you can spin the front wheels, set up a fixed pointer against the outside of the wheel then rotate the tire. If the wheel is bent you should see the edge of the wheel move against the fixed point.
Ill give it a shot ,thanks

Remember.... these tire and wheel set ups aren't usually balanced. And may need a product like balance beads (or wheel weights) to get there. But as mentioned, check the wheel first to make sure it's true.... before going through the effort of balancing!
Its definitely the wheel or tire. I got the shake on my 2015 that I blew up.Before I blew it up I installed new ball joints & tie rod ends and also added dana beads. Still had a shake. Blew that bike up and Bought the same bike (with 400 miles on it)rode it for a day then switched the stock on the new bike with the tires from my bike.(grim reapers,stock wheels )Found out last weekend the shake was still there. Its posibil it's the tire but the wheels take a beating where we ride
Definitely wheel or tire

1 - 6 of 6 Posts