Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
No - no way to use a engine or transmission serial number to extrapolate a VIN, but the engine or transmission part number can be used to get a range of vehicles it was used on. It's obviously a 400 liquid cooled two stroke so that narrows it a bit. I believe the 400 first appeared in 1994 as the 400L (2x4, 4x4, 6x6 and Sport) and was last produced in 2003 as a TrailBlazer

·
8,953 Posts
So there's nothing stamped on the lower frame just ahead of the clutch cover and straight below the coolant reservoir?
Looks like about a 98 Xplorer 400L but that's just a guess??

·
8,953 Posts
Hmm, you got me curious and so I did a little research. I'm finding information saying those older model Xplorers have the VIN stamped in the down tube of the frame on the RIGHT side of the machine below the shifter. The YouTube video I watched showed a tag with the model in that location but the VIN number is stamped right beside it.

Here's the video. He shows several other models but at 1:04 he shows you on a 94 Xplorer.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
How about some pics of the plastic? Headlight, fenders - maybe more pics or frame with location of electrical components? How about more of a description - 2x4, 4x4, 6x6, color etc

Maybe any part numbers; muffler, transmission and the engine serial number

Your model number may be near the gearshift on the frame tube - look for a number that starts with 'W'

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes Polaris was able to get me a vin number of the motor and transmission vin I gave them but they did say I was lucky cause usually it doesn't work that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts