Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 2002 trail blazer. it has been sitting on and off for a few years while i was away in school, a few months ago i moved to a new area and brought it with me. finally found the time to get out for a ride made it down the side of the road for about 30min then it stopped running.

all seemed to be running fine then as it is ran out of gas it stopped.
have not started to look into anything yet but figured i would ask about ideas while i start looking into it myself.

notes
still has spark tested on a spare plug have not pulled the one out of it yet.
still turns over but does not fire.
yes there is gas in it yes it is turned on.
fuel filter does not appear to be blocked.
still has what feels like the same compression on the pull cord, have not tested it to know how much there is.

gonna look into the carb to start but any other ideas are welcome.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If your fuel supply is sufficient then its time to take the carb apart and clean it. When you ran out of gas you probably sucked up a bunch of crud that was floating around at the bottom of the tank. May as well put in a new needle and seat while your in there.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
This IS a Polaris Trail Blazer right??? NOT a chevy trailblazer lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never ran it out of gas. But im sure it is old gas and gummed up carb tjat is giving me priblems. Ut did seem odd to me they way that it quit tho running smooth to nothing at all. Never seemed to be starvee of fuel it simply stopped.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Let me think.....

And no confusion here there was another member who has deleted his post and was referring to a chevy trailblazer.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If your sure you have compression then check to make sure your carb is getting its fuel supply. If it is then its time to take the carb apart and inspect/clean/rebuild/clean/clean/clean/clean.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sad to say the bike had been sitting backburner to some other projects .so I have not done anything to fi nd or fix my problem. But have been doing some reading and lookinginto all possible problems.

Can a bad crank seal stop a motor while running?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after sitting for some time now, i got back to look at the trail blazer again.

upon first inspection i was getting no fuel, turned and turned, when i pulled the plug it was bone dry.

pulled the card apart and cleaned it, for the most part it was not bad, but it is better now.

now im getting fuel to the plug but still no fire. im getting spark when checked with a plug hanging outside.

I can only keep it turning over so fast due to my starter seems to be toast and im running on the recoil.

warn out plug, not strong enough spark?
lots of people mentioned to check compression, should ber doing that tonight, but can someone give me a quick explanation on why this would have shut me down in such a hurry? also ways to identify what seal/gasket is causing the issue.

Anything else i can be looking for?

as a last note, it will back fire every once in a long while.... no sign of life beyond that.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
backfiring is a sign of a lean condition

So if you hold an insulated screwdriver near plug tip (when removed yet w/plug wire on it) does it arc from plug to screwdriver?

Then triple check your fuel supply starting with pump. Just disconnect input to carb and turn engine over a few seconds, should have a steady stream. Then check carb, especially diaphram, jetblock and float. Also check for air leaks around carb boot with starter fluid (if after spraying engine either fires or tries you have a leak). Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
from what I've been reading on the forum...you must have good compr. to draw in the fuel and to run.(90+lbs of pressure min).I did a bottom and top rebuild on my t.b. that had been sitting in a guys yard for 6 yrs.,when I was done rebuilding,i didn't have spark...I replaced cdi box and coil with my 06 t.b.parts and started and ran it at idle for 10 mins. When I broke it in,I went 5 mi. oneway,stopped to talk to a friend,showed him Igot it running.wheni went to start it to come home it took a battery charger to get it started...no biggie right,?Just a low battery?Got home and killed engine and come in the house.Next morn,wanted to go for a ride and it wouldn't start.I have spark.It's turning over o.k. everyonce in awhile,it'll backfire.A little before that the engine starts to turn over faster likes itgoingto start,but it doesn't.have a new stator in it. so I'm thinking the cases have developed an air leak.Any good suggestions????thanks everyone!I can post now!!!help if you wanna,I will soon as I getthe chance

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont have good compression, i have fuel through the carb but not getting to the plug, and im no where close to running. i thought i had fuel but was wrong, other vehicles breaking down have forced the trailblazer to the back burner again for the moment. not sure if it is a crank seal/ head gasket or what is causing my issue yet, so far no one has answered my question about how to identify which it is, that i have had a chance ti try.

I know this wont help you but i had not updated this in a while, and some of what i wrote last time was less correct than i had hopped.

as i sit now
fuel is good to the carb/carb is clean
good spark
will not start.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have only seen one set of crank seals fail. Normally when you have low compression on these models it is just needs a new top end. With no valves these engines require good piston and rings. Just an fyi the crank seals come with a full gasket set and there not hard to do. Its best to not over think this and plan on a new top end.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also if you look at one of my previous post you'll see I had the same issue and I fought it at 95lbs of compression my bike wouldn't start. ...that was until I put in a new piston and rings. I alao had the jug redone. Total cost was 250. 00

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya, i have priced the parts i need to rebuild the top end and change the crank seals while i was at it. figured all cost would come in just under 300. thanks for confirming that for me.

Have not done much work to this bike before beyond routine maintenance, so not over thinking, more just making sure i take the right steps, not do anything i dont have to do or should not do.

and i have all the time in the world to get this done, so it is easy to shelf this project for the time being. not that im happy about that... snow is melting and it is time to ride. but im about a month away from a wedding, and other vehicles in the yard need the time and money right now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
finally time to get back to this and get my bike up and running , with the problems i have i figure i will start with crank seals. order the seals i needed last night along with a new starter, (mine has been toast for some time and i figure ill do it while i have the bike apart.) any advice for someone going into this job for the first time? for the seals or the starter... either for the job or for anything i should keep an eye open for while im doing it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just take your time and it will go pretty simple enough. Hope you have the clutch puller. If not if you google it there is a you tube video that will tell you what size bolt it is and you can go to hardware store and get one and just add a spacer to the end of it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts