Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Sportsman 550 and my dad has a 1999 Xplorer 400. Both of them have composite racks/boxes on them. They both spent a few seasons in the sunshine. Now if bare skin touches the racks or storage boxes you will itch for hours like if you were crawling around in your fiberglass insulated attic. I have tried sanding, steel wool, and turpentine and the problem quickly returns. I've only found a couple of threads on the internet talking about this. Well meaning folk giving advice, but nobody with a story of "I had the problem. I did this. It fixed it." Anybody with real world experience to give advice? If not, my next attempt will be truck bed liner paint--which I'd prefer to avoid if there are other options.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Composite is a fancy word for fiberglass and epoxy along with other ingredients like carbon powder, pumice, baking soda or other inert material, it is after all COMPOSITE.

Yes, it deteriorates and degrades - a coat of super glue will fix it for a couple of years maybe or epoxy clear coat or Kynar paint.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
I just did 3yrs on a marine grade super structure and if im not mistaken the largest pre assembled structure in the world if not then the country, the new tappan zee bridge. anyway 95% of the pipe we used was FRE fiber glass reinforced epoxy a product that came from Canada. all I can say is that was some of the NASTIEST materials to work with. from handling it to sanding it for assembly to adhering it with the 2-part epoxy that if you got it on your clothes destroyed them over time. these fiberglass composite materials are definitely resilient but I wonder what health hazards the pose for those working with them!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Likely the same as asbestos, honestly. The mechanism of injury will be the same, small irritant fibers that end up in the lungs. BP, please mention this to your doc so he'll know to keep up on lung function testing. Stay healthy, man.

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Yeah man that and the silica!!! They are saying silica is worse the asbestos. Only because it's in like every building material. Not literally but figuratively. That's not even the worst I've worked at the nuke plant up the river from the bridge in the pic. Been right inside the bowl that houses the reactor. I try to avoid that place like the Convid-19 lol. It's just sometimes they can't man it and I get guilted into going. It's one way to make a living 😁.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts