Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These tires look and sound amazing. They seem to have awesome reviews so I was wondering if anyone else has anything good or bad to say about them. My questions are how heavy are they? What ply are they? I'm wondering how well my '12 500 ho would handle the 28x9 14 front 28x10 14 rear or should I go up one size in width with both fronts and rear. Would it be better for me to run 27's instead. I'm sure I will want to do a clutch kit eventually after frying my stock belt considering the steep terrain I ride on. I was going to get the Outlaw Radials but I cant find much input on them regarding all different terrains including snow because I plow with my quad every year multiple times. I would rather run 12 inch rims for better rim clearance but they only show 10 inch wides for the 28's for the 12 inch rim. Thanks for any and all input fellas

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I'm a dumbass. Found a previous post about this tire if anyone else is interested. There is also a link someone posted on an outfit testing the tire on a 550 xp. They really liked it as well but I have a feeling it will be a little on the heavy side the my 500. Looks like these are the tires I will get but a clutch kit will definitely be needed.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Here's some of the info about black waters: http://www.mudthrowers.com/inc/sdetail/62/51582

I'd stay away from radial outlaws if you ride rocky trails. They do well in the snow though, most mud tires do bec of the lug spacing.

Don't sweat the clutch kit, very easy install on the 500. I did mine in a couple hours.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
From what I've read & seen on youtube, the Evolution is a great choice. But heavy being 8 ply, so a clutch kit will be a good investment for the 500.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's some of the info about black waters: ITP Black Water Evolution

I'd stay away from radial outlaws if you ride rocky trails. They do well in the snow though, most mud tires do bec of the lug spacing.

Don't sweat the clutch kit, very easy install on the 500. I did mine in a couple hours.

Thank you very much for that link. Its almost always cheaper to buy tires and wheels in a package deal and now I know where to go to get the rims I want too. Just curious why you said to stay away from the outlaw radials because of the rocky terrain. Is it becuase of the sidewall strength and/or the in between the lug that I would want to worry about? About the clutch kit, I remember seeing on previous posts I have to "make" my own tool or socket to pull the clutch apart is this true seeing how you already did yours?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

Thank you very much for that link. Its almost always cheaper to buy tires and wheels in a package deal and now I know where to go to get the rims I want too. Just curious why you said to stay away from the outlaw radials because of the rocky terrain. Is it becuase of the sidewall strength and/or the in between the lug that I would want to worry about? About the clutch kit, I remember seeing on previous posts I have to "make" my own tool or socket to pull the clutch apart is this true seeing how you already did yours?

Two strong pairs of hands and you should be able to get the secondary back together without a tool. I bought the tool from epi bec I didn't have the second pair of hands. More important is a great snap ring tool. I bought the craftsman professional one for $25 - the coupon I had. A cheap pair won't get the snap ring off.

And yes on the sidewalls and also that they wear pretty fast on rocks/pavement. At least from what I've read. I don't have personal experience with them, just what I have read.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Two strong pairs of hands and you should be able to get the secondary back together without a tool. I bought the tool from epi bec I didn't have the second pair of hands. More important is a great snap ring tool. I bought the craftsman professional one for $25 - the coupon I had. A cheap pair won't get the snap ring off.

And yes on the sidewalls and also that they wear pretty fast on rocks/pavement. At least from what I've read. I don't have personal experience with them, just what I have read.

Ok thank you very much. This is all great info to know. I will make sure to post pics when I make the purchase. Still undecided whether I want to get 27's or 28's. I'm not going to lift it but I am going to put HD springs on it. I guess time will tell

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Cool! I was looking into the blackwaters for my 850 and the reviews are mixed. I have some time to decide since the act II are nearly new and handle much better than the act I I had on the 500.

So many tires to choose from now that it makes the decisions damn near impossible!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
my new backwaters just showed up today. ill be installing them on the weekend (if i can wait that long) they look great and i can't wait to try them out

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
my new backwaters just showed up today. ill be installing them on the weekend (if i can wait that long) they look great and i can't wait to try them out
Don't forget to post pics when you get them installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ITP Blackwater Evolution

IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0565.jpg IMG_0573.jpg IMG_0569.jpg
Just installed the ITP Blackwater Evo tires and i love them. sizes are 26x9-12 and 26x11-12. I also installed Tusk wheel spacers on the front and rear because I didn't have enough clearance on the front tires. I just went on a short ride and every thing was great. The steering seemed much more responsive but i did think that the ride was a bit rougher. I may have to experiment with the air pressure a bit. So far I love these tires and i will let you all know if i have any issues. Cant wait to take a long ride and put them to the test.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
View attachment 21912 View attachment 21911 View attachment 21910 View attachment 21909 View attachment 21907
Just installed the ITP Blackwater Evo tires and i love them. sizes are 26x9-12 and 26x11-12. I also installed Tusk wheel spacers on the front and rear because I didn't have enough clearance on the front tires. I just went on a short ride and every thing was great. The steering seemed much more responsive but i did think that the ride was a bit rougher. I may have to experiment with the air pressure a bit. So far I love these tires and i will let you all know if i have any issues. Cant wait to take a long ride and put them to the test.
What does that tire weigh? Looks pretty good btw.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Thanks man.

·
Registered
964 Posts
2006Sportsman --- The new tires look awesome!! Hope you get the air pressures right...so it smooth's some.

IMHO...I am just not a big fan of 8 ply rated tires for an atv. The 8 ply were really designed for the UTV and the heavier weights they run.

Still...Looks GREAT!!

biz

·
Registered
53 Posts
What do they actually measure?
I am getting ready to order 27's...RMATV told me they measure around 26.75...just wanted to see if they were close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts